Advent OGM-1 install tips - need owner feedback

I'm starting this thread in the hope that those of you that have installed the Advent OGM-1 in your own rigs would consider "donating" your tips in this thread to help those considering their own installs. As a car stereo installer for 36 years, it's sometimes hard to look at these installs with a "rookie" set of eyes, so I sometimes tend to gloss over things that I've known for years, but that may trip up guys that are doing this for the first time.

Overall, I can't stress enough to TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU BOLT THE RADIO IN! Conservatively, I'd say 50-60% of the calls I get are for problems that are related to the install and could have been resolved BEFORE the radio was bolted in the dash. It's imperative to test it first to insure that it all works (mainly for DVD, Bluetooth, iPod, XM sources), then if you have a problem when you bolt it in, you can troubleshoot it effectively because you know it all worked when it was sitting in your hands...

For those that have purchased from ADC Mobile know, we give you a ton of info once you login (and no, I will not post the login info here, sorry), but even though what we have available is pretty comprehensive, there are still things that guys call me on that I can't anticipate. Here's a quick list of the top tech-related issues I deal with (feel free to add your own problems/solutions):

• Microphone doesn't work - make sure it's SECURELY plugged into the MediaLink cable and make sure the MediaLink cable is plugged all the way in - this cable is kind of hard to plug all the way into the radio and is one of the first to come unplugged when you bolt in the deck if it's not plugged all the way in and "locked"
  • iPod or USB sources don't work - make sure the MediaLink cable is plugged all the way in
  • XM has no audio - make sure the short male and female RCA jacks on the main power harness and MediaLink cable are plugged together
  • Random weird issues with display - MAKE SURE you moved all the cables out of the way behind the radio so it sits flush on the dash without pressure - you should be able to tighten the radio screws by hand - DO NOT cinch it down to "force" it into the hole. Take your time to find a home for all the cables...
  • DVD/CD goes in halfway then gets ejected - remove the two shipping screws on the top of the deck - they are there to stabilize the DVD drive during shipping and must be removed.
  • Factory controls (SW, rear console) don't work as expected - do a "System Reset" before attempting to test any functions - this tells the deck what vehicle its in and allows it to work correctly in that vehicle
  • Blinkers/chimes are way too loud - you have a Bose vehicle and didn't set the deck to the factory amp mode - Hit Setup>Info and press>hold the "th" in the word BLUETOOTH for 5-8 seconds, then choose "Factory amp - ON", then hit "Menu' and shut off the vehicle for 30 seconds
  • iPod video doesn't play to rear monitor - it's not supposed to - the Advent will only play DVD to rear monitor(s)
  • Rear camera doesn't work - check the RCA is still plugged into the back of the radio AND the camera. Check power to the camera at the camera.

I hope there aren't many more issues that you guys have had :), but whatever you do add will help future owners and I'll be happy to add it to our tech support page on our website...

Thanks for the help!

The only thing that I ran into was the initial firmware update. No one else mentioned this so maybe I'm just stupid but after you unzip the folder, you have to transfer the contents of the unzipped folder over to the microSD card, not the folder itself. That doesn't work. :lol:

A few other thoughts-

The S-video looking plug on the XM harness (black, round milti-pin connector) is not used.

I removed the upper glove box (non-LTZ/SLT trucks only) to mount my media hub in there but this also aided in running the microphone cable and mounting the GPS antenna. It's only 2 screws so it isn't hard to do, but they are Torx so it isn't a common fastener type.

Read the manuals! There is a ton of useful info there.

My Advent ogm1 went crazy on me yesterday and I can't get it to work as normal. All the buttons on it are confused. The NAV button brightens the screen, the XM takes me to a menu screen, my phone button takes me to the audio equalizer setup so I can't get to the phone menu at all, the brightness button changes the radio, etc.... Any one have these issues or know how to fix it? Thanks.

Okay guys, although I'm not the greatest with computers I managed to perform the firmware update with the help of Winzip, this forum, Advent's website and youtube. And I was shocked how little time it took. And everything seems to be working good again on my ogm1! Thanks for the help! :thumbs: Now to learn how to change the splash screen!

If you're going to locate the USB or other port inside the upper glove box, then drill the hole and pass the wire through to the radio before mounting the radio. Otherwise, you'll have to remove the radio to accomplish the mission. I didn't plan my locations in advance and caused myself more work than required.

Personally, I would like the chimes louder. If it produces a low fuel chime, I have not heard it. Also, it does not produce a "key in ignition" chime.

The thing to remember is that since this deck has to be "on" to produce chimes (to either power the outboard amp or power it's own internal amp), no chimes can be produced if the deck is off.

Low fuel chimes may be possible to code in, but the key in the ignition is another thing - when the key is shut off, the deck stays on RAP power until you open the door, then the the RAP circuit dies (unfortunately, this is exactly where the "key in ignition" chime is supposed to happen) - so it's kind of a Catch-22. They need to have a circuit that keeps the amp section or amp turn on lead lit for "X" number of minutes to allow for that chime. I just don't know if that's possible in software or if it can be done without a hardware change (which will never happen). I'll ask...

Thanks MikeNH my chime volume is now set at a level for those of us who have been around too many jet engines.

Watt, I agree that "key in ignition" may present a challenge but the factory radio did it. However, the factory radio may have done it using hardware. From looking at the schematic, I believe 12 volts is still present at the radio after RAP is gone. So maybe they can use that somehow. Thanks for inquiring. For the most part, I really like the radio but there are a few tweaks I would like to see. Is there someplace where we can list those so that the manufacture will get them?

Thanks MikeNH my chime volume is now set at a level for those of us who have been around too many jet engines.

Watt, I agree that "key in ignition" may present a challenge but the factory radio did it. However, the factory radio may have done it using hardware. From looking at the schematic, I believe 12 volts is still present at the radio after RAP is gone. So maybe they can use that somehow. Thanks for inquiring. For the most part, I really like the radio but there are a few tweaks I would like to see. Is there someplace where we can list those so that the manufacture will get them?

I've already passed it along, and they're very diligent about logging all of our suggestions - it's pretty cool that somebody actually listens to us!

2007 Tahoe LT OGM1 install with kenwood back up camera. I ordered mine today and Walt mailed

It the same day!! Will post pictures of the install when complete. Any tips on where to place the backup camera? Read a few threads from various forums. Looking for any relative insight thanks.

Archived