OGM-1 New Firmware: UPDATE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would help if Advent told us what the delay was instead of just keeping us in the dark?

I agree - the only answer I've been given is that they are writing a new firmware installer that will make it a lot easier and more foolproof to do these updates.

If it's any consolation, they are now shipping OGM1 units with the new firmware updates - we just started seeing them this week, so the update HAS to be right around the corner..

why not just release the firmware, and in the meantime work on the firmware installer for the following updates :ughdance:

Just be glad we have any info about what is happening. I'd compare it to the Android phones and no one being able to tell when the updated OS was going to be released. And if they designed the new firmware to work with the new installer then there is no way you'd be able to do it the old way.

Do the units returned for warrantee repairs come back with the new firmware?

That's a good question. I've not read any posts of one going back for warranty work AFAIK...

I can tell you straight up that this is BY FAR the most reliable navi unit we've ever sold - we've now sold 332 OGM1's in the past year (out of 445 total of the new Advent navi "family") and as of this week have 7 defective returns - an AMAZINGLY low return rate!

I have not received any returns w/ new firmware (because I haven't received any warranty returns from Advent since the new firmware has been released), but I did get a new beta version this morning and some very interesting new information - the engineers very much recognize that iGo is sucking up a ton of resources (that's why it's a little sluggish on iPod, CD, etc.), so the new version is being tweaked yet again to provide better use of the deck's resources, which means more speed, which means happier customers.

So, although it's been a bit of a wait to hear any news, it very much looks like Advent has been listening to everyone and is doing something about the issues that you guys have been reporting. Yet again, the experience with this Advent system is COMPLETELY different than any experience I've ever had with ANY other manufacturer...

Archived