2003 Battery Drain Recall for certain models

TxDoc

#02066 -- Battery Drain

involved vehicles are certain:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban; 2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL; 2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

Equipped with Quadrasteer (NYS), Autoride (Z55), or Vehicle Stability Enhancement/StabiliTrak (JL4)

December, 2002

Dear General Motors Customer:

We want your experience owning your 2003 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban; 2003 model year GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL; and 2003 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, and Escalade ESV vehicles equipped with Quadrasteer, Autoride, or Vehicle Stability Enhancement/StabiliTrack to be better than any other you've had ... which is why we're writing.

We have learned that your 2003 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban; 2003 model year GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL; and 2003 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, and Escalade ESV vehicle may have the potential of exhibiting a battery drain condition. An anomaly in the operation of the steering wheel position sensor may keep the Body Control Module (BCM) from shutting down when the key is in the OFF position. The resultant 3.5 amp draw/load on the battery could possible discharge the battery to the point where the battery will not have sufficient amperage to start the vehicle.

What We Have Done

We've sent a new BCM calibration to your dealer so that your vehicle can be reprogrammed to ensure that the BCM shuts down when you turn the vehicle off. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What You Should Do

We recommend that you contact your dealer to arrange a service date. If you have experienced this condition in the past and your battery was recharged or replaced, your vehicle will still need to be reprogrammed.

here are the VIN breakpoints to determine if your vehicle is possibly involved (contact your dealer or the customer assistance certain to determine for sure):

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

Plant: Flint

Through: 3F165707

Plant: Oshawa

Through: 31235800

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

Plant: Arlington

Through: 3R181251

Plant: Janesville

Through: 3J179899

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

Thtough: 3R181251

Through: 3J183738

Plant: Silao

Through: 3G183738

2003 GMC Sierra

Plant: Flint

Through: 3F165315

Plant: Oshawa

Through: 31235792

2003 GMC Yukon

Through: 3R181273

Through: 3J179886

2003 GMC Yukon XL

Through: 3R181273

Through: 3J179886

Plant: Silao

Through: 3G183779

2003 Cadillac Escalade

Through: 3R181357

2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Through: 3G183821

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Through: 3G183821

• 6 years later...

I realize this is a very old post, but......

I am wondering if this BCM re-calibration is available other than from a dealer? Has anyone had this re-calibration done? My truck (2003 1500HD) is not within the VIN range listed in the bulletin but seems to have parasitic draw that will nearly kill an Optima red-top overnight. I know, I know...the curse-ed Optima. So I charged up the OEM Delco and put it in and exchanged the red-top for another one.

The OEM battery has been doing a fine job since Saturday Jan. 17, 2009. Now I detect that each day it is a little more sluggish but has yet to fail to start the truck. I am going to use a battery disconnect switch to try to track down the drain.

Any advice, insight, or revelation will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jeff P.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2003 Silverado Z71, it has had this problem. Called 3 Chevy dealers, they deny that any problem of this nature exists. I have replaced the battery twice and two new alternators installed. I find that I still have a 3.5 amp draw even with alternator cable disconnected.

Again, the dealer denies that there is any existing or documented issue regarding parasitic draw on these vehicles. They recommend I bring it in and pay a minimum $100 fee just to start testing with no guarantee they will isolate the problem within a reasonable amount of time.

if that recall does not apply to you truck , the tech 2 will not let you program it . i would tell you to look for your amp draw somewhere else . sart pulling fuses .

I have pulled fuses for two days. The problem is intermittent. The dealerships will now aknowledge that they discovered an issue in 2002 but refuse to do anything about it since I am now "out of warrantee." I asked them to please perform the reprogramming that is refered to in the document but they are asking for $125 diagnostic fee.

Tvango,

I have been having some of the same fun as you I think. I have an 03 2500HD 6.0 auto that about 2 weeks ago would be fine until the first start of the morning. I would have to jump start it. Once going, all would be fine. I have replaced the battery and cleaned the battery terminals including the alternator ground terminal. I had the guy at Advanced check the alt out and all looks good to him.

As for the intermittence of your issue, have you charged the battery back up to full charge? Sounds odd and like a stupid question but the alternator may be showing a good charge (on dash) and may be doing enough to run the truck, but not enough to charge the battery full. I thought I have an good day/bad day issue going with being intermittent also. I am on full charge today so far, I will see tomorrow what it will bring.

For the suggestion of using a volt meter to do a draw check... I am not sure how to do this without the ability to check DC amps. If someone could explain that, maybe the clouds will lift for me on that one. My meters are primarily for HVAC/home applications not for automotive. I can do DC volts but not sure how/where to measure. At the fuse block itself?

Good luck and maybe I will get some issues relsoved also.

Chupe442

Archived