6.0l vortec max tune up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikea57

mikea57

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have a Sierra 1500 4X4 with the Vortec Max and it's pushing right up against 100K miles. I've noticed over the last few months that my gas mileage has been decreasing and I figure it's time for a tune-up.

The only real improvement I would like to see with a tune up would be a few more mpg's. I have a friend that owns a reputable repair shop and he highly recommends the BG Induction Service, so once I change the plugs and wires I'll have that done and he also said that he'd check to make sure the computer is adjusted correctly.

I would be replacing my spark plugs and wires myself with ACDelco replacements and this is where my question lies. Is there a reason to go with the Iridium spark plugs, or should I stick with the Platinums? I've heard that the Iridiums won't last as long as the Platinums once replaced, which I understand are OEM.

Also, is there anything else other than plugs, wires and air filter that I need to look at replacing?

Thanks,

Mike
07 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT (NBS)
6.0L Vortec MAX
RC 2" Leveling Kit
Cooper Discoverer ST 285/60R20

#2 mikea57

mikea57

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hmmmm, I went out to the ACDelco website and searched for replacement plugs for my truck and the only ones they came up with on their recommended list was the Iridiums. Does anybody know if the iridium plugs come came on those trucks as stock?
07 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT (NBS)
6.0L Vortec MAX
RC 2" Leveling Kit
Cooper Discoverer ST 285/60R20

#3 Carder

Carder

Turbo Powaaaaa!

• 2,153 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Drives:2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Just go to your local auto parts store, their computer will have what your truck needs in the listing.

Main ride: 2013 Vee-Dub GTI

Other ride: 1994 atoyoT MR2 Jap Spec G-Limited

#4 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,733 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Iridium is OEM. That's what your truck left the factory with. They will outlast Platinum.

Other services your truck may need if not already taken car of:

Diff(s) fluid change
Trans filter and fluid
Transfer case fluid change
Brake fluid flush
Coolant flush
Belts, hoses & T-stat

Edited by txab, 20 March 2012 - 01:26 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#5 MikeB52r

MikeB52r

Enthusiast

• 327 posts
  • Name:Mike

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have a Sierra 1500 4X4 with the Vortec Max and it's pushing right up against 100K miles. I've noticed over the last few months that my gas mileage has been decreasing and I figure it's time for a tune-up.

The only real improvement I would like to see with a tune up would be a few more mpg's. I have a friend that owns a reputable repair shop and he highly recommends the BG Induction Service, so once I change the plugs and wires I'll have that done and he also said that he'd check to make sure the computer is adjusted correctly.

I would be replacing my spark plugs and wires myself with ACDelco replacements and this is where my question lies. Is there a reason to go with the Iridium spark plugs, or should I stick with the Platinums? I've heard that the Iridiums won't last as long as the Platinums once replaced, which I understand are OEM.

Also, is there anything else other than plugs, wires and air filter that I need to look at replacing?

Thanks,

Mike

Does that make sense, "making sure the computer is adjusted correctly". I don't think that sounds right, but I'm no expert, what can he be talking about?
New & Old

Then: 1967 Chevrolet C-10, 283CI with 3sp transmission and 3.73 gears, Wood bed

Now: 2008 GMC Sierra SLE2 Crewcab, 5.3L with 4sp transmission and 3.42 gears, Linex sprayin bedliner

#6 ATMINF

ATMINF

Enthusiast

• 749 posts
  • Drives:2006, 2500HD 2wd, 6.0L gasser

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Normally that is to update the computer software with any changes that the factory has done. Alot of times computers are updated when they get sent to the dealership for service etc..
2006 3/4 extended Cab 6.0 2wd Silverado

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6.0l, vortec max, tune up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users