Daytime Running Lights not working

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRL)

The daytime running lamps (DRL) will operate when the ignition switch is in the RUN position, for automatic transmissions (A/T), the gear selector is not in the PARK position, the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position, and for manual transmissions (M/T), the park brake is released. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate. The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal it will either turn on the DRL or the headlamps for auto headlamp operation. Any function or condition that turns on the headlights will cancel the daytime running lamps operation. The DRL can be manually turned OFF by depressing the AHL/DRL switch in the headlamp switch. The AHL/DRL defeat switch sends a ground signal through the DRL switch signal circuit to the BCM. The BCM then turns OFF the DRL and headlamps switch to manual control. When the AHL/DRL are manually turned OFF at the headlamp switch, the AHL/DRL will default to ON with the next ignition cycle. The DRL are separate lamps independent of the headlamps. With the headlight switch in the AUTO position, the DRL will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 8-second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The DRL 10-amp fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the DRL relay switch contacts and relay coil. When the BCM energizes the DRL relay , the DRL receive voltage on the DRL supply voltage circuit. Ground for the DRL is at G100.

2004DRLschem1.gif

Edited by txab

Thanks. I'll find some time to see if I can trace it back. Looks like the BCM relay might need a look. But you'd think that since the DRL's do work for the lock/unlock, that'd be okay, too.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2008 gmc sierra 1500 and I am the second owner. I just bought the truck and recently noticed that the driver side DRL light won't come on, but the passenger side does. Like you said about them flashing when you lock/unlock the doors, mine does the same, they flash but but when I turn the one won't stay on? I am totally confused about what is happening. I have been through it a million times and will take it in, maybe someone else can figure out what I can't!

• 1 year later...

Thx for listing the conditions the DRL's are on for, as I was incorrectly assuming they would be on with the engine [and was checking with it in Park, so no power to either plug, but fuse and relay were good, so I was about try digging into the wiring harness]. Thankfully, I googled for DRLs not working and came across this thread.

Now, I put on the parking brake, put it in gear, and like magic, power to the DRLs. One DRL was working fine, and the other has an iffy socket [there seems to be a bunch of burnt resin in the socket and both sockets and blubs look like they've been getting too hot]. I might have to go to the men's mall and get some replacement sockets, but it seems like they weren't designed right [as the bulbs should be able to be on all day without overheating the socket].

• 3 years later...

Jeb,  sorry I know this post was forever ago, but I have an 06 Silverado that’s doing the exact same thing. DRL‘s flash and stay on for 10 Sec when I’m unlocking the door just like yours, but they don’t ever come on during the day like they are supposed to. The fuses aren’t bad, and I’ve tries putting it in gear to make sure, did you ever figure anything out with yours? 

Did you read completely through the posts and look at all the things mentioned?

First thing is to make sure your headlights aren't illuminated during the day

Edited by txab

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, you need to go back through the circuit and see where the voltage drop is.  The bulb connectors are known to have problems, as the original ones are just barely good enough to not immediately burn up.  Could also be corrosion, or a poor connection elsewhere.  You might also check that the ground connection is good.