Do I upgrade to a Duramax or wait?

Zral

Should I upgrade to a Duramax or do I wait it out awhile longer? Finally, was able to drag my 28.5ft TT (5440lbs dry weight) out for a weekend road trip. That took for ever! Running south into a 14mph head wind through the Flint Hills of east kansas. 7 mpg - 3rd gear w/TH - 3200rpm 95% of the time. At times to keep my speed at 60 she would shift down and scream to 4600rpms or so. Watched the tran. temp the whole way. 177 to 183. then down then up. Almost hit 200.

Just felt like it had to loose a nut to get up a hills. We'll probably do this trip about 3 times a year. Plus 36 to 40 weekends to the lake. speed limit is 65 and only about 35minutes from lake. Plus daily driver to work, 50 miles round trip. weekend is towing 5440 lb camper and 5000 boat. 2 trips.

In the truck I was carrying;

wife

mother n law :freak:

6mo baby

2 15lb terriers

1 40lb pendelton corgy

Truck: 09, 5.3L Ext. 143"WB, HD TowPck, 4sp, 3.73, Z71withZ82, 18" duellers, 4wd - $18350 left on the loan.

Want: 08+, Duramax/Allison, crewcab, 18" AT's, Z71, 4wd. Camper upgrade in 3-5 years to a 5th wheel. (at least 8000lbs?)

Diesel for all the low torque and daily driving or BB tune the 5.3L and put the Mo-N-L and the dogs in the camper and keep going?

thanks for the opinions and or directions.

3200 rpm in 3rd? How fast were you going? I pull about the same weight camper with the same motor/gearing, and don't fight it nearly that hard. I keep my speed in the 60 to 65 mph range on interstates in 3rd (2400 to 2600 rpm), since I don't trust trailer tires beyond that. If I need 2nd on a steeper hill, I slow down to 50 to 55 mph to keep the rpm in the range of 3300 to 3600.

I think that's about right? I was running about 2700 closer to 60. I know i wasn't hitting 70. 33-3600 @ almost 60> going up. Just enough to try not to let it shift down to 2nd. It was my real road trip with the TT since we picked it up 2 years ago. First trip actually towing something that heavy on the interstate. I must be trying to hard. Suppose I ought to get my foot out of it a little bit. The trip back on Sunday was awesome! Felt like you could have sailed home.

TT is a '94. I'm still trying to figure out what the payload capacity is on the TT? Does anyone change octane grades when towing--any benefit?

How many miles do you drive a year NOT towing. How far was this weekend trip? I'm driving an '08 duramax and I am inclided to tell you to keep the truck you have if your towing is minimal. While you will tow with a great big smile in a dmax you have to think about all the miles you are not towing. Fuel is more, but mileage is a bit better so close to a wash. Oil changes are 10 quarts of more expensive oil, fuel filters every 15 - 20k. Not to mention the upfront cost. So I would look closely at how much your non towing use is.

How many miles do you drive a year NOT towing. How far was this weekend trip? I'm driving an '08 duramax and I am inclided to tell you to keep the truck you have if your towing is minimal. While you will tow with a great big smile in a dmax you have to think about all the miles you are not towing. Fuel is more, but mileage is a bit better so close to a wash. Oil changes are 10 quarts of more expensive oil, fuel filters every 15 - 20k. Not to mention the upfront cost. So I would look closely at how much your non towing use is.

About 18,000 a year NOT towing. Average 16.5 mpg Highway 13/City.

This last trip was 385'ish miles round trip. Will be doing this trip 2 twice a year.

24 weekends a year @ 80miles = 1920 TT 5440lbs and boat 4800lbs. 2 seperate trips. :(

5TH wheel upgrade in few years too.

Non lake trip — 385x2=770

lake trips — 24x80=1920

So 2690 tow

18,000 no tow.

Don't know, still owe 'bout 18,000 on truck with 40,000 miles. I'll wait and beef up the payments and keep short trips down to a minimum.

I'd pay off what you have, then see if you can get into a Dmax. We don't have a Dmax anymore, but the 06 Dodge barely feels the 18ft ski boat, and you definitely notice it in my 1500. The Cummins spends most of its time pulling the horse trailer, so it is needed. Diesels just "have it" when it comes to pulling :lol:

I would pay off the current truck.

then carefully look into the cost of the care and feeding a D-Max.

as noted maintenance costs are higher vs. gas

but a d-max will tow damn near anything. :driving:

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have read over on RV.net forums is that most 2500's w/ a D-max will be over the GVWR for hauling a larger 5ver. 8klbs trailer will have about a 2klbs pin weight, plus the family, gas, etc in the truck.

I would probably try to pay off the 1500, and before buying a new(er) truck, decide which trailer you would like, and find out the weights of it, then decide if a 2500 or 3500 is what you need.

Good luck!

Chris

Archived