So I called around to get a quote on a lift kit for my 2011 Crew Cab Silverado. The shop recommended the Rough Country 7.5" kit due to price ($1,000) and wanted $2,067 for kit, install + tax. Seems way to high for me (RC sells the kit directly for $999.95). When i asked about the 4" Rancho I have seen installed on a few members trucks (that appears to look really good) I was told I'm only paying for the name.

Is the Rough Country 7.5" kit a good kit or should I stay away? I read another member's issues with the 3.5" or 4" kit from RC. I definitely believe the install price is way too high.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

I was really interested in the Rancho since they have $500 rebates out but the shop was trying to sell me on the Rough Country kit because of price. No way I would run a 7.5" kit with 35" tires and 3.42 gears. Too much could go wrong with the gear change out. The 4" makes more sense as I could run the 295/55/20 (possibly) tires. Just trying to get some opinions and express my disappointment with a $2,000 price tag without wheels/tires in the package. Seems a little high to me.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the newer 6spd tranny you cant go by the old opinions on what gears you should run from the older 4spd. A 6spd with a 3.42 rear end has the same effective first gear ratio as a 4sp with a 4.56 rear end, 2nd 3rd and 4th have shorter effective ratios as well with 5th and 6th being taller. That being said you will loose the quick pick up from a standstill with the factory size tires but a 6spd with a 3.42 rear end will turn 35s just fine. You don't see many people going past 4.56 to run 35s with a 4spd, well actually i think my best forum friend has 4.88s in his 2007 with 35s.

Rancho is far superior to RC, due to design. The RC 7.5" is a joke IMO and I would not own it. You are correct on the install price being waaay too high, and you should expect to spend $500-$700 for install. I think I paid $2200 for my BDS installed. It seems that I've seen a thread on GMFS about 35's rubbing with the RC 7.5" on the stock wheels. The sad truth about these trucks is that they have narrow wheel wells and clearing larger tires is just a pain.

Archived