I am thinking of replacing my shocks . I believe I need to replace my old ones . I really dont know much about shocks . I am not to bad at using a wrench or I should say I feel confident enough to do simple things . Is it easy to replace shocks on a gmt 2wd 800 ? Also what is a good shock or brand. I know my dad on his old truck when he replaced his he got a life time warranty on his . So every time he needs new ones he gets them for free and installs them him self .

I notice my truck leans to the driver side more is it possible to get a more heavy shock for that side because that side is heavier than the passenger side.

shocks absorb spring osilations and do not set ride height,,,except adjustable coil overs,,

you have torsion bar suspension up front,have an alighment shop adjust the "Z" height ,then finish the alignment .....THE ALIGNMENT HAS TO DONE AFTER "Z" HEIGHT !!

do a shock test instead of just spending money for an item that is for STABILITY ONLY

bounce on the bumper up and down and jump off ,the truck should go up then down and settle,,

if they leak,they are done

shocks absorb spring osilations and do not set ride height,,,except adjustable coil overs,,

you have torsion bar suspension up front,have an alighment shop adjust the "Z" height ,then finish the alignment .....THE ALIGNMENT HAS TO DONE AFTER "Z" HEIGHT !!

do a shock test instead of just spending money for an item that is for STABILITY ONLY

bounce on the bumper up and down and jump off ,the truck should go up then down and settle,,

if they leak,they are done

Thank you for this information. Shocks are only for stability and do not do anything for ride height. To know for certain if my shocks are fine I should do that test you talked about. I have to read up on torsion bar suspension to know what that is . For my truck to sit right you are saying i should get a height or Z first done and then the alignment for it to sit proper at the front. The shocks in the back what kind are those . I have leafs and some shocks i can see in the back . Should i do the test with the front bumper and then the rear bumper.

As far as shocks or struts, I'd go with bilstein. I don't know what 2wd trucks have in the front (torsion or struts) since I've never owned a 2wd truck. My gmcs (sierra and yukon denali xl) dont lean (my tahoe didnt either) so not sure why yours does. And like Rob said shocks dont affect ride height.

i didnt know you had a 2wd ,torsion bar is 4wd only ,sorry for the confusion

you have regular shocks in the back

duh ,i just saw the signature under the pic ,lmao !!!!!

just looked up your front suspension,you do not have struts ,just regular shocks ....

if the tire pressure is the same and checking other trucks of the same yr ,if your truck is sagging more ,then the springs are weak ,THESE DONT TAKE A CRAP SO DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING please

and yes do the bounce thing at each corner .....also driving it and paying attn to the truck after a bump ,if it keeps bouncing then ,,,,

upgrading for no reason does not make sense to me ,5100s are $400 approx for the truck ,,

my 2 cents

Archived