Two different GM Dealers same repair

I just literaly got in the house to post this....

One Dealership wanted to replace my oil cooler lines (2) on my GMC 3500 dually Crew Cab 4x4

For The Price of 885.00 plus Tax 13% = 1,000.05 One Thousand and Five Cents

2nd Dealership wanted For The Exact same job 361.49 TAXES IN . Three hundred and sixty one dollars and 49 cents.

They both pulled up the information on the computer and were identical except the price !!!

The First dealership even charged me 60.00 plus tax to tell me what i needed .

The 2nd dealership was free of charge .

I Thought because the dealerships are independantly owned they must abide by the GM/Chev Pricing????

Or Stuff like this could really do some damage to the General Motors Companies and their Service Departments Nation Wide

Scooby

Thanks guys for your reply, I thought I would raise a few hairs !!!

To answer govtec 4 it is the two ENGINE oil lines that go to the oil cooler. 6.0L Gasser

Morgan 1986 There was also the tax on the $60 . To open the hood and look on top of the shield (under the fan area) where the crimps are letting go.

I phoned the salesman of the first dealership , who is a family friend. I will keep you posted for the outcome. I am looking for a nice reply from the 1st Dealership before calling GM.

Thanks Guys.. Scooby

Thanks guys for your reply, I thought I would raise a few hairs !!!

To answer govtec 4 it is the two ENGINE oil lines that go to the oil cooler. 6.0L Gasser

Morgan 1986 There was also the tax on the $60 . To open the hood and look on top of the shield (under the fan area) where the crimps are letting go.

I phoned the salesman of the first dealership , who is a family friend. I will keep you posted for the outcome. I am looking for a nice reply from the 1st Dealership before calling GM.

Thanks Guys.. Scooby

I would of said no and not pay them and just took my keys and drove out of their in less you already knew that it would cost you 60 + tax .

ok with the program i have the part costs $160.

labour costs 2.7hrs

i put in $125 per hr for giggles and came up with a total for a 4wd 08 truck with a 6.0l gasser w/skid plate

the total i came up with a few taxes is $522.

from mitchell on demand

op,,,,the cooler lines come as a 1 piece assembly ,not 2 lines hence 1 price

engine tilt up driver side or front diff tilt down to do this repair ,not fun either way lol

easy for a guy on a hoist ,not so easy for a guy on the concrete floor with a few axle stands

One shop may be hungry and the other busy or don't want to work, I have seen that before on getting some repairs done. One shop priced high because they did not want to do the job and thought if he wants to get robbed we will help him out!!:jester:

Well i got it fixed...

The high priced dealership matched the low price of 360.00

They said the 2nd shop would of adjusted the price they first quoted me for originally (360) to 885.00 if they realized they had to drop the front differential to get the lines in (that was what the hi priced guy said) to cover his ass. I did not believe him because I had the quote on paper..

The high priced dealership installed it and said they had to bite the bullet on the extra labour.. I did not wait that long so I knew it was all BS!!!

But for a fact the shop did get their hands slapped and made certain I left there happy.

Neverless, I think my future business will not be with this Dealership after 30 + years of doing business with them..

Scooby

A common misconception is that the cheaper quote is always right. Mistakes can happen in either direction. I have no idea what the recommended steps are to do this job, but the first dealer may be correct in saying the front diff must be dropped, according to the labour guide they have. We all know there are shortcuts to many jobs, but sometimes the shortcut causes their own issues.

Drop the front diff to do oil cooler lines?!?!?? LOL

yes the top bolt and right side nuts and front driveshaft,it pivots down on the lower bolt enough to put the new line set above it

thats engine oil cooler line set ,i piece ,2 lines ,1 price

Archived