Potential duramax owner with questions for those with experience

ive only had my dmax for about a week now so im no expert by any stretch, but i will say, ive kicked myself in the ass all week for not pulling the trigger on a dmax alot sooner. i came from a 5.3 gas jobber that struggled pulling my TT through the hills. not to mention how unsafe if felt pulling it. i just pulled that same TT last night with the dmax, i barely knew it was even back there. and on top of that the mpg's seem a little better with the diesel. my 5.3 would get 16mpg (90% interstate) no matter how easy i drove it. the new rig seems to be around the 20ish +/- mark so far. sure the maintenence costs are a little more but nothing too serious. major things can happen to gassers just as much as diesels.

Something was wrong with the 5.3 if you only got 16 driving interstate. Should have seen close to 20 with 3.42 gears. With 95,000 miles on my LMM I've had maybe one tank average close to 20 and that was 100% highway with a tail wind and 65 degrees and no regen. That rarely happens. Mine is 100% stock with the exception of 265/75/16 tires. Also I live in western KS with basically zero hills, but we are at 3500' elevation, which can make a slight difference compared to sea level on power/mileage. With the dozen or more people I know that have duramaxes they all get about what I get. Not saying 20 mpg is not acheiveable, but please don't look at the DIC and give that much thought. Top your tank completely off and hand calculate mileage. That's the only way I do it when checking mileage. I never even pay attention to the avg/mi gallon thing. Usually it's 1-3 mpg off.

Archived