2009 Sierra 5.3l, idles up to 3000 rpm after throttle body clean

This sounds like an IAC (Idle Air Control) motor problem. On older GM cars this was under the throttle body opening and cleaners could short it out if it wasn't removed for cleaning. A faulty one would make the car behave exactly as you describe. Now, do these truck have an IAC in the throttle body? LOL

Edited by swathdiver

Well, since we have drive by wire throttles, there is no IAC, only on the 4.8L. So then, maybe it is one of the two TPS sensors in the throttle body or the TAC, Throttle Actuator Control. I'm new to these engines.

Do you have the 2008 Silverado General Information pdf? If not and you'd like a copy, send me an email. [email protected]

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Smitty27 said:

SeaDonk.....what do you recommend on this?    My Sierra is doing the exact same thing.   Disassemble everything and put back together?    Not sure I see a resolution in the thread.   Thanks.

That guy hasn't been around for over nine years.

There is a reset procedure done with a Tech-2 or similar bi-directional scan tool.  Otherwise the computer will learn again to idle properly, slowly usually.