Tow/haul Button not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tbhuge

tbhuge

Enthusiast

• 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

I went to push the tow/haul button the other day and nothing. Is there a fuse related to this feature?? Truck is a 2006 1500HD with 6.0.

Thanks

#2 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,322 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well where you towing anything? If you were not then you wont feal anything differant. Did the light show up on the gauges?

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#3 fumble

fumble

Enthusiast

• 79 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab LTZ and 2008 Tahoe

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Had that problem on my 01. One of the wires in the shifter was cut. Take the cover off the steering column and check there. There is two/three wires that go to the button and tend to get clipped in the steering column. Friend had the same problem with his Sierra. Hope that helps. Good Luck

Edited by fumble, 03 April 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#4 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,697 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Had that problem on my 01. One of the wires in the shifter was cut. Take the cover off the steering column and check there. There is two/three wires that go to the button and tend to get clipped in the steering column. Friend had the same problem with his Sierra. Hope that helps. Good Luck

+1 ,common failure
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#5 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,930 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

+1 ,common failure

Real common

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#6 tbhuge

tbhuge

Enthusiast

• 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

No the light did not come on, in fact I dont notice that it comes on when I start the truck. I did try the tow/haul button to see if I noticed any change in acceleration. There was no change. So I know it is not working, normally I can feel a difference in shift firmness.

Anyone know what color wires I need to be looking for, so I know which ones to trace. Thanks

#7 vucelick

vucelick

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

usually orange

#8 tanked_darren

tanked_darren

Industrial Mechanic

• 2,334 posts
  • Drives:2007 GMC SIERRA, 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

+1 ,common failure

usually orange

Only reason I've ever seen at work, and usually its visible! We don't fix it.
2007 GMT-900 GMC 1500 W/T 4.8L V-8 2wd auto 4L60E, 3.23 gear ratio
Reg. Cab, 6'6" Box, BLACK
Added myself: GM fog light kit, DIC panel, OGM-1, Camera Source Back-up Cam, Sirius dock.
Added otherwise: Leer Canopy. Linex bedliner+over-rail.
2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door, 2.2L OHV, 4T40e, Kenwood Excelon 9990HD, Sirius dock, Bass Car! Gas saver for work as well.

#9 fumble

fumble

Enthusiast

• 79 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab LTZ and 2008 Tahoe

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

No the light did not come on, in fact I dont notice that it comes on when I start the truck. I did try the tow/haul button to see if I noticed any change in acceleration. There was no change. So I know it is not working, normally I can feel a difference in shift firmness.

Anyone know what color wires I need to be looking for, so I know which ones to trace. Thanks

When you pull the steering column you will see the only wires coming from the shifter. Pretty much can't miss them!

#10 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,697 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

When you pull the steering column you will see the only wires coming from the shifter. Pretty much can't miss them!

the sheathing is rather rigid over time and the wee wires cant handle it and they break,,follow the wire till ya find sumfin bruken !!

use a butt connector that has shrink wrap on it and that is a good repair
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#11 tbhuge

tbhuge

Enthusiast

• 199 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

Done and Done.......Wow what a crappy design by GM.......Most challenging part of this was figuring out how to get the steering column cover unsnapped. I was a little leary of pushing too hard on it and breaking it.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users