Nitrous kit on an 8.1...Anyone do it?

Im debating on a little kit for the pickup..I wouldnt use it all the time, just palyin around here and there.

Just curious if someone has done it. As solid as the 8.1 is i figured a 75-100 shot wouldnt hurt it but be enough to feel it.

Also would i have to do anything with timing and/or ignition?

Stock sprayed motors live a very short life. With the weight of the Suburban and a 75-100 shot your tranny and rear will hate you. If you have alot of miles on that motor you will be asking for trouble. Now if you build a motor to use spray thats a little bit of a differant story but they dont last that long eather but will last longer then a stock sprayed motor.

To much heat , should have mercury filled valves to anticipate the heat so they do not weld up.

Let me see after a few times I guess you should buy a boat because you will have a nice boat anchor.

Seriously talking if you want to do some tweaking I would not suggest nos.

scooby

To much heat , should have mercury filled valves to anticipate the heat so they do not weld up.

Let me see after a few times I guess you should buy a boat because you will have a nice boat anchor.

Seriously talking if you want to do some tweaking I would not suggest nos.

scooby

I think you mean sodium filled valves, and even then, only the exhaust valves get it. Mercury filled was not something that ever hit commercial use.

Have never done it on an 8.1L but have sprayed a couple stock LS1 5.7's and 1 stock 5.3L with no problems.

The LS1's I have done were both 125 h.p. shots and the 5.3 was a 100 h.p. shot.

As long as you are not spraying it to death and hitting the rev limiter while still spraying you are safe

Now go to a tune where it is running on the lean side to begin with then spray the shit out of it and yes heat will be an issue

I have set up numerous 75-100 hp kits on stock engines with 0 issues. If used sensibly, as NC described, all will be fine. A purpose built nitrous engine has no use with less than 300-500 hp of spray being used religously, imo.

thanks guys... I wouldnt go more than 125 anyway.

next question...wet kit or dry kit??

my guy can tap and thread my intake ports, vs just spraying in the trottle body,

• 1 month later...

Archived