Programmer shopping for a 5.3L

I'm in the market for a programmer for my '01 Suburban. I primarily want one to help achieve optimal fuel economy. But I have no clue which brand/model programmer is best for fuel economy. Can anyone chime in with some first hand experience?

I have a Diablo Predator sport for 06 Sierra and I absolutely love it. Easy handheld programming. A friend uses a superchips cortex for his F**d and loves it. I know many other will chime in about the Black Bear tunes as well but i have no experiences with it but hear lots of great stories.

I had a 2001 Silverado 5.3L with 4.10 gears and I picked up a Hypertech programmer for it. I saw a 2-3 MPG increase but nothing special.

I have the same Hypertech Programmer for my 2010 and noticed about the same increase.

I am nowhere near Blackbear Performance or one of their tune days so I opted for a hand held. A custom tune will give you better results because not all 4.3,4.8,5.3,6.2 engines run the same. Hypertech also allowed me to calibrate my speedo, and on my new pickup shut down AFM.

Bottom line, it'll take you a while before it pays for itself if your only after it for the MPG savings.

Generally, higher efficiency (leaner burn) means less power, and more power means higher enrichment (lower efficiency). Performance tuners focus on power, more responsive shifts, etc. to improve feel... not economy or emissions. These trucks are programmed for stoich operation from the factory, and could be off a little... but a clean MAF, air filter, good plugs/wires, good fuel/oil, etc.(i.e., back to factory specs)... and a very light right foot... should do more to help economy than a tune. My 2 cents.

Our MPG booster tune for the 5.3 is an awesome tune. We optimize the DoD settings to allow for more time in DoD, so it stays in DoD more often, and at higher throttle inputs, and higher speeds.

We have users reporting average of 2-3 MPG gain with the MPG booster tune on 5.3s.

The standard performance tunes will also pick up 1-2 MPG.

Thanks

Thanks for the posts guys. If I could pick up 3 MPG, the progammer would pay for itself in 4 months.

Is it possible to have the factory ECU relashed with the latest update? I'm not sure if that's possible for an '01. I was getting 16-18 MPG last year, and now I'm getting about 13. I'd just like to get back to where I was last year.

I attempted to run the "MPG Booster Tune" and it was terrible, a joke actually IMO.

Truck couldn't get out of it's own way when you press the throttle pedal. It had much more power with the stock settings. With the known issues of the AFM system, why would you want it to run on 4cyl longer? You paid for 8 when you got your vehicle, make good use of them.

Probably not going to pick up 3MPG no matter what you do, especially running a "canned tune" like the ones mentioned above.

I have been running the 87 Octane tune with my inTune and it seems to work best. Actually get better MPG with the "DOD" (AFM) being disabled.

Mike is correct though about the 1-2MPG with Diablo Tune and the 87 Octane Tune. Give it a try.

Mike, does the Diablo work as well on the earlier (2003) 5.3 truck?

(no DoD I believe)

It should, I had one for my old 2004 5.3L.

The only way to go is a custom tune from justin at black bear... The in person tune is the best way to go, but the other ways of his tuning work great also..

many other in here will agree, theres two handfuls of things he can do that any handheld tuner cany come close to!

• 2 weeks later...

As a long time Diablo Sport customer and user, I can tell you from experience that If you are looking for an "optimized tune" a handheld with "canned tunes" is NOT the way to go.

There is NOTHING optimized about any of the tunes that come pre-installed on these hand held tuners. These tunes are designed to work with ALL vehicles and are by no means going to give you the performance or MPG a custom tune will. Even being designed to work with all, you still need to get your fuel trims dialed in on your own, they are NOT plug and play as advertised either.

Like I said before, the "canned" MPG Booster tune is terrible IMO. It does nothing but make your truck a dog, it won't go if you press the pedal through the floor. If you are looking for best possible gains, contact BlackBear Performance.

Not trying to talk you out of a hand held, just telling yo uthe truth, something DiabloSport really doesn't know much about. Come on over to the DS forum and read around, been getting lied to for years over there by these people.

I pre-ordered an inTune based on the fact that we were promise TCM support a few weeks after it's release. We were told that in just needed to be ported over from the Trinity tuner.....Low and behold that was a marketing scheme and lie from Diablo Sport. We were recently given what they claim to be the truth and they finally admit that it's not ready and never was even close.

Wish I would of listened to people on this forum and went ahead and ordered the AutoCal. Would hate to see someoe else make the mistake I did. Pretty much stuck with the inTune for now. Wish I would have given BlackBear my business..... O well, live and learn I guess.

Archived