is this a common problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skip Talker

Skip Talker

Enthusiast

• 93 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

OK its a 2010 ext cab, Z71, 5.3 4X4 with 6 speed automatic. I'm working away from home so I got the transmission fluid filter done on the road. When they went to pull the dip stick out the tube came out with it. They said it was broken half way down. They said it had rust around the break. To be honest I remebered checking it once or twice shortly after i got it so I haven't checked it in quite a while. Is this a common problem? Got a dip stick for sale?

Thanks
Skip

#2 06SierraZ71

06SierraZ71

Old enough to know that you're not!

• 2,242 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Drives:2006 GMC Sierra SLE 2

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Rust through on a 2010? You might be able to pursue getting a warranty replacement? I would want to see this break and the rust they speak of. I've learned to trust but verify. Sounds kind of odd to me.
2006 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLE 2, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Z71, 5.3L (L59), 4L60e, 3.42 gears, G80, Auto Trac 4x4, Midnight Blue Metallic, Truxxx leveling kit, K&N air filter, Line-X bed liner, Tekonsha brake controller, Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires, Monroe Relfex Shocks. 100,000 mile club!

Have Fun and Enjoy the Reading!

#3 Jared Lucky

Jared Lucky

Enthusiast

• 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

It is pretty common of the new trucks the dipstick tube hits on the back of the head and breaks it. There is an updated dipstick tube. Probably can get it warrantied

#4 Skip Talker

Skip Talker

Enthusiast

• 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I forgot to mention it was the tube and not the dip stick it self. The dealer had one in La Quinta, and I found a cool shady spot with grass, not an easy thing to do out here. The tube was $15 and the gromit was $5. Replaced it in 20 minutes.I could have tried and warrantied it but I need my truck for work and a few hours with out work is way more than the $20. I didn't want to risk sand getting into it either. The replacement one looks exactly like the old one so I guess it will break too? I'll take a pic and send it to the dealer. There was slight surface rust, and south west rust is not like south east rust.

Another thing I noticed, near where the dip stick goes in to the transmission there looks like a cable connector. I couldn't see a mate for it and it looked dirty like it wasn't pluged in to anything for a while. If it was supposed to be plugged in I would have more issues.

Thanks to all who answered.

#5 BlackZ71Silverado

BlackZ71Silverado

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,332 posts
  • Name:Justin

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Good deal, glad to hear you got it fixed.
2010 Silverado 1500 5.3L Black w/ Z71 appearance pkg.
CAI Tube - AEM DryFlow filter
DiabloSport "inTune" programmer
2" Rough Country level / 3" Rough Country rear blocks
MBRP T-409 SS 3" Performance Exhaust, single/side exit

'08 Silverado 6.0L V-Max
GMPP CAI - AEM DryFlow filter
GMPP Performance exhaust
DiabloSport Predator
2" Rough Country level / 3" Rough Country rear blocks
Cooper Discoverer AT3's

#6 Jared Lucky

Jared Lucky