How to adjust aim of headlight

Hutch

There's actually a special tool to do it! GM, in there infinite wisdom, decided that a simple phillips head screw was unacceptable. Instead, they used some type of star or torx head, and then buried the screws about 6-8 inches below (and behind) the top of the headlight assembly. I got the alignment tool at a KarParts store by me. They had to order it, but the guys knew all about it. Looks like a loooong necked screw driver, but the handle is in the middle because there's a section coming out of both sides (there are 2 different sizes of screws that can be used, so the "screwdriver" has 2 ends).

From some of your replies it seems to me that you work for a GM dealer, so perhaps that's why you don't deem it a problem. Personally, I've never had to buy a special tool to do something as simple as adjust the headlights on any vehicle I've ever owned. GM's method is pretty absurd.

At one time I did, but it's nothing special.  Admittedly I probably have more goofy tools than most simply because of special procedures that need wacky tools, but this is nothing more than a Torx bit socket that I think I've seen at Sear's before (mine are Snap-On BTW).

Good thing I had both sizes of special oil pressure sending unit sockets this past week when I had to replace the one on the Grand Prix.

Oh well, believe it or not, there is always a reason behind even GM's stupidest design(s).  I have a feeling that they went with this special adjuster screw design so as to eliminate anyone with a regular/phillips screwdriver from playing around with your light adjustment.  Believe it or not, stuff like that does happen.

In all honesty though, how often do you aim your lights?  Especially moreso the newer composite style with the halogen capsule that just pops into a fixed housing.  Most automobiles/trucks only need one adjustment in their entire life, so it's not as common a need as a 15mm socket/wrench for your oil pan drain plug

I've only adjusted them a few times, and don't think I'll need to anymore. I did it once or twice when I upgraded the bulbs to the eXtreme Whites and then when I installed the fogs (to make sure both light patterns complimented each other). Now, they seem to be good where they are.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used GM headlight alignment tool??  :(

My truck keeps getting taller  :(   so therefore I am always adjusting my headlights.  I hate pulling up behind people and blinding them in their rear view.  If you have a long torx, it works great, or just have the dealership adjust them, or any shop that installs lift kits.  :thumb:

it's not as common a need as a 15mm socket/wrench for your oil pan drain plug

HAHA this made me chuckle.  My dad is a mechanic and my mom has had her blazers oil changed at the dealership since new.  Well this past time he did it.  He said when i got home that day what size socket is your oil plug. I said 15mm.  He said it took longer to find the right socket than to change the oil. I told him it was a 15mm but he didnt believe me

as far as torx screwdrivers i bought a set of craftsman screwdrivers and 5 torx screwdrivers were included

See what I mean though Jim.  Of all the fleets of cars that have roamed through my driveway recently (all GM too), only one has needed headlight adjustment.  That being the Aurora.  But the Aurora was nice cause it had a built in level.  :(

A 9/32, 8mm, 10mm, and15mm socket/wrench should be in every GM owners tool collection.  GM loves those sizes.

Also, we are not referring to Torx screwdrivers.  These are Torx sockets.

:jester: I had to adjust the head lights on my HD2500 they were pointed down about 20' in front of my truck. Coming to work one day about two weeks after I bought the truck I almost hit a deer. Needless to say the head lights got picked up right after that. The question is do they adjust them for the truck being under a load? Most of the time mine is not even when I pull our 5th wheel it dosn't drop it that much. ???

Archived