Peeling Paint Finish

Damnit its always something.

Was taking a look at my tires today and noticed this for the first time, right behind the front passender side wheel well. What does it look like to you, peeling clearcoat or whole top layer of paint? The peeling layer appears to be Steel Gray (not clear) and so does the remaining layer underneath. Do these trucks have multiple coats in the same color? Sorry, I'm not as keen on automotive paint as I am with other stuff.

I don't want it to continue spreading, so I assume it needs fixing quick. I'm wondering since its in a rather inconspicuous location if its something I can contain with a simple tube of touch-up paint, or should I leave it to the professionals to repair. I have a few months left on my Major Guard bumper-to-bumper, wonder if that will cover it.

post-12777-0-76401800-1334255725_thumb.jpg

Looks like surface rust to me - can't tell very well from the photo. Remove the fender well liner and look at the back side. I think you can get to it from there. If it's rusting through - you'll see it on the back side.

Thats not surface rust it looks like the clear coat pealing in that spot from a stone or something else, I would get some 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand it down smooth blending the clear coat (getting rid of the ridge) then get a spray can of clear coat and spray it then lite wet sand it to knock down the roughness of the spray then wax. Being that low you will never see it. It looks like the paint is not pealing off just the clear coat.

Yeah I've had the truck since new, no repairs ever on that area and definately not rust. The more i look at it makes me think its the clear coat....im gonna try that repair asap. When you say 'light wet sand' to blend in new clear coat with old, what grid of sand should i be looking for?

Appreciate the help fellas. I'd check the same areas on your trucks, my truck is babied and spotless 90 percent of the time so its not like anything ive done has brought it on.

Yeah I've had the truck since new, no repairs ever on that area and definately not rust. The more i look at it makes me think its the clear coat....im gonna try that repair asap. When you say 'light wet sand' to blend in new clear coat with old, what grid of sand should i be looking for?

Appreciate the help fellas. I'd check the same areas on your trucks, my truck is babied and spotless 90 percent of the time so its not like anything ive done has brought it on.

I would try a 1000 grit wet sand to knock the ridge off around the peal then go to a 2000 grit wet sand after you spray the area with clear coat but use light pressure then wax the area. Before you start make sure you soak the sand paper in a tub or cup full of water first and keep the paper wet. I did this on a vehicle I had and after it was done you couldnt even see it. Just dont spend to much time on the bare paint focus on the ridge of the clear coat peal because if you dont you will sand throught the paint before the ridge best to use just you finger around the peal to smooth it out or blend it.

One more thing get the loose clear coat off first aorund the area.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Got 2 estimates $1800 from independent and $1500 from the dealer to do both panels dealer and GM paid all but $500, they did a real nice job

even redid the wheel wells, probably didn't cost the dealer much as they did the paint job.

I think right now GM is having a lot of trouble with all the recalls so they don't want to loose too many customers.

post-64839-0-84516100-1401547632_thumb.jpg

Archived