• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VT_Z71

VT_Z71

Enthusiast

• 357 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Damnit its always something.

Was taking a look at my tires today and noticed this for the first time, right behind the front passender side wheel well. What does it look like to you, peeling clearcoat or whole top layer of paint? The peeling layer appears to be Steel Gray (not clear) and so does the remaining layer underneath. Do these trucks have multiple coats in the same color? Sorry, I'm not as keen on automotive paint as I am with other stuff.

I don't want it to continue spreading, so I assume it needs fixing quick. I'm wondering since its in a rather inconspicuous location if its something I can contain with a simple tube of touch-up paint, or should I leave it to the professionals to repair. I have a few months left on my Major Guard bumper-to-bumper, wonder if that will cover it.

Attached Files

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 ECRB: 4" Rancho Suspension Lift w/ RS9000XL adjustable shocks, Silverstar 9005 foglight mod, 6000k HID lowbeams, Corsa Sport side-exit exhaust, 35% Front Tint, GM Rear Fender Liners, 35" Toyo MT rubber on 18" All Terrains, 1.5" BORA rear spacers, Tuned by Blackbear, GMC Stainless Sill Plates, GM DVD Navigation, Rear Audio Controls, Cobra 75 w/ Wilson 5000

#2 wtbrowne

wtbrowne

Enthusiast

• 150 posts
  • Name:Wm. Terry Browne
  • Drives:2008 Silverado 2500HD CC Duramax

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Looks like surface rust to me - can't tell very well from the photo. Remove the fender well liner and look at the back side. I think you can get to it from there. If it's rusting through - you'll see it on the back side.
Black 08 Silverado 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison
Posted Image

#3 TimmyG

TimmyG

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,162 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Drives:2011 sierra white 1500 crewcab z71

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Kinda looks like a stone chip that was fixed in the past

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

#4 Portdriver

Portdriver

Enthusiast

• 218 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Drives:2011 Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L Z71 4X4 CrewCab - SnowDogg HD75 Plow - Zone Leveling Keys, Zone Steering Stabilizer & Zone Nitro Shocks

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Kinda looks like a stone chip that was fixed in the past

x2

#5 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,325 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thats not surface rust it looks like the clear coat pealing in that spot from a stone or something else, I would get some 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand it down smooth blending the clear coat (getting rid of the ridge) then get a spray can of clear coat and spray it then lite wet sand it to knock down the roughness of the spray then wax. Being that low you will never see it. It looks like the paint is not pealing off just the clear coat.

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#6 VT_Z71

VT_Z71

Enthusiast

• 357 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I've had the truck since new, no repairs ever on that area and definately not rust. The more i look at it makes me think its the clear coat....im gonna try that repair asap. When you say 'light wet sand' to blend in new clear coat with old, what grid of sand should i be looking for?

Appreciate the help fellas. I'd check the same areas on your trucks, my truck is babied and spotless 90 percent of the time so its not like anything ive done has brought it on.
Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 ECRB: 4" Rancho Suspension Lift w/ RS9000XL adjustable shocks, Silverstar 9005 foglight mod, 6000k HID lowbeams, Corsa Sport side-exit exhaust, 35% Front Tint, GM Rear Fender Liners, 35" Toyo MT rubber on 18" All Terrains, 1.5" BORA rear spacers, Tuned by Blackbear, GMC Stainless Sill Plates, GM DVD Navigation, Rear Audio Controls, Cobra 75 w/ Wilson 5000

#7 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,325 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yeah I've had the truck since new, no repairs ever on that area and definately not rust. The more i look at it makes me think its the clear coat....im gonna try that repair asap. When you say 'light wet sand' to blend in new clear coat with old, what grid of sand should i be looking for?

Appreciate the help fellas. I'd check the same areas on your trucks, my truck is babied and spotless 90 percent of the time so its not like anything ive done has brought it on.

I would try a 1000 grit wet sand to knock the ridge off around the peal then go to a 2000 grit wet sand after you spray the area with clear coat but use light pressure then wax the area. Before you start make sure you soak the sand paper in a tub or cup full of water first and keep the paper wet. I did this on a vehicle I had and after it was done you couldnt even see it. Just dont spend to much time on the bare paint focus on the ridge of the clear coat peal because if you dont you will sand throught the paint before the ridge best to use just you finger around the peal to smooth it out or blend it.

One more thing get the loose clear coat off first aorund the area.

Edited by Silverado4x4, 13 April 2012 - 04:53 PM.

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#8 trav_automotive

trav_automotive

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,614 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'd check into some mudflaps as well. Heck a set of molded ones may cover that spot after you repair it properly. That area takes alot of abuse without mudflaps!

15' Sierra Denali HD Duramax

#9 Dmaxing

Dmaxing

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

What I got aint no rust just a bad paint job, both sides

Attached Files

#10 Nationalminer84

Nationalminer84

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,898 posts
  • Drives:2010 GMC Sierra

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

Sand it down seal it up and cover it up... Molded mudflaps or even flares Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab Z71 5.3 4x4- Motor City Edition, Extang Tonneau, GM 2-way Remote Start, Aftermarket Heated Seats,Lund hood Shield, GM Vent Visors, Pioneer AVH-3300BT HU with XM Tuner,K&N Filter, GMC Hitch Cover, Bedmat, Tow Mirrors, Regency White Faced Gauges, Billet Grille, CF Dash Kit, 2" Level, Edge Insight Monitor, Stainless Wheel Well trim, Vision Warrior Wheels with BFG's -2014 Chevrolet Malibu-1LT,Crystal Red Tintcoat 5% Tint

239287.png

#11 Dmaxing

Dmaxing

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Got 2 estimates $1800 from independent and $1500 from the dealer to do both panels dealer and GM paid all but $500, they did a real nice job

even redid the wheel wells, probably didn't cost the dealer much as they did the paint job.

I think right now GM is having a lot of trouble with all the recalls so they don't want to loose too many customers.

Attached Files

#12 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,599 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

What I got aint no rust just a bad paint job, both sides

That's awful

Ryan

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users