dual electric fans... Is it worth doing?

Ive seen a bunch of different kits online, and an engine builder i was just talking to said that it was the only way to go.. That they help cool much better, and are supposed to free up some horsepower with the belt spinning less stuff. ' the clutch/fan'

have any of you guys done the swap??

I understand how it can cool things better but dont really think it saves that much HP. I thought horse power was measured as a unit of how much a average horse could pull back then. So for just a small fan to spin around by a belt to me would not be that much of a difference.

My 05 truck came with electric fans .

I most likely dont know what i am talking about . What i am thinking is it will cool your engine better but HP wise I think the difference would be so small that it would be adding like human 5 year old power of 1 increase lol . I think it would be a waste of money . Someone tell me if I am wrong.

I've heard both sides of the coin. For HD towing, they say an engine driven fan can pull more air (and are supposedly more reliable) which is why you don't see OE electric fans on HD applications. For cars or light duty pickup applications electric fans probably work just fine. The key is providing sufficient airflow at the maximum load you will see. As well, you want fans with multiple speeds so that you are not actually using more HP than you need at light load applications.

DEWFPO

stick with the engine driven fan they are quieter and are always drawing air through the rad,I hate the sound of the electric fans kicking on and off.

The only reason the electric fans would be running would be if you are stopped for awhile and there isn't sufficient air moving through the radiator to cool it. As opposed to a clutch fan that is running at all times just at different speeds. I don't see how you think a clutch fan is quieter. Even when towing, an electric set up will only come on when needed. Any drag you take off the engine will free up horsepower.

Clutch fans only come on when the temperature on the system engages the spring loaded mechanism..The clutch fan freely spins until the engine needs to cool.There fore only under extreme operating conditions does the fan come on. So where is the belt on a clutch fan!!!! The back of the clutch fan is fastened directly to the motor not by any form of belts, It is a fan with some cool veins around the base and thats it, with a coiled spring in the front that engages the shaft basically.

No horsepower drain on the cooling system until it engages. Turn the engine off and the fan should still spin for a few moments letting you know the fan is not stuck on, or rotating the blades by hand with the engine OFF.

The clutch fan runs at different speeds but only by free wheelin, not by the engine.. When it engages the fan runs only on high to cool.

Scooby

, I'd rather have air being pushed through the radiator at all times (at idle) then to have them Kick on at a certain temp. I don't like my electric fans.

This is another benefit to engine driven fans. In my experience, in idling or stop and go situations an engine driven fan seems to keep the coolant in the radiator cooled all the time allowing the thermostat to more accurately (less temperature fluctuation) maintain engine coolant temps. Hook up a scan gauge and watch your coolant temp ..... with an engine driven fan it stays more constant and moves very slowly, with electric fans, it can get fairly hot, the fans come on, then it cools down quite a bit (20-30 degrees) until the fans go off. And the cycle goes up and down and up and down. I would think that would put more wear and tear on the metal parts (constant temperature fluctuations).

DEWFPO

• 3 weeks later...

I did an e fan conversion on my 1500hd 6.0 last year. I noticed a good difference in acceleration off the line and picked up .5-1 mpg in city driving. The stock fan weighs a good 15lbs I think. The e fans are louder when the ac is running but the pickup doesn't sound like a jet engine when taking off from a stop anymore. Plus you free up a lot of space under the hood. I say go for it.

I personally like the electric fans on my truck. When I had to replace my AC belt and then my main drive belt tensioner it was nice not have to fight with a cowling or a fan in my way. I'm thinking it would help when it comes time to do the thermostat change/coolant flush too. Yeah I know it only saves maybe a few minutes but saves a bunch of grief working around it. Just my opinion on the matter.

I think you'd be happy with em. I haven't noticed my temperatures "fluctuating" at all, whether sitting or driving, regardless of load. They keep the temps more constant than the fan in my 1990 does for sure. And yeah, it is nice not to have em spinning in the wintertime and whenever they don't need to be.

Archived