Sign in to follow this  
Denai07

Transfer Case Oil

Hi, 

It is time to change my transfer case oil on my Yukon Denali 2007 and I have a critical question which I hope you can help me out before I do something wrong and damage my vehicle.

The owners manual says I shoul use the following:

(Manual transmission Fluid GM Part No. 88861800.

However, my dad's 2009 Yukon Denali manual as well as my friend's 2012 says they should use DEXRON-VI Automic Transmission Fluid! 

My question is, as far as I know there has been no changes in Yukon Denali from 07 to 2012. Therefore, this made me feel a little bit skeptical about my 07 manual. So, for my Transfer Case, should I use DEXRON- VI or GM Part No. U.S. 88861800?

Please help me out!

VIN # 1GKFK63827J379231

IIRC two different transfer cases were offered in 2007 GMT900. One could use transmission fluid the other not. 2009 units used Dex VI in all TC. A quick call to a dealer, with your VIN will get a answer. Maybe MSDALE will notice this thread

Edited by txab

manual transmission fluid part number 88861800. Turns out that part number is basically Dexron III.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Unavailability of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

Recommendation/Instructions:

If fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is unavailable when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in it's place. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by elcamino

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By zavdibeg
      Hello everyone!

I recently purchased my first GMC sierra, 4.3l work truck to haul some kayaks and get me through the winter.

while driving it home i tested the 4x4 and it all worked, the 4lo was a little clunky to get into but i had no problem engaging it.

after a few miles i started hearing a clacking sound, it sounded a lot like a U-joint so i investigated when i got home and found it to be coming from the transfer case. there was a leak at the rear output shaft seal, so i replaced that and went to drain and put fresh fluid in, but to my horror there was almost nothing in there, and what came out was a black thick sludge, so i put fresh fluid in and drained it again. again what came out was better looking than before but still clearly dirty. so i finally put in another 2 quarts of dex IV that the dealer said i should be using, and have been driving it for a day or two less than 50 miles. when today noticed that the shift lever is stuck and i cant move to any of the 4x4 gears. the linkage is free i played with it and it moves around. the things that has me perplexed is that the 4x4 worked after the fluid change.

i don't know much about transfer cases, and am hoping someone with more knowledge could point me in the right direction on what my issue could be.

sorry for the rambling i was trying to get as much information in as possible that i thought could be helpful.

• By Anunez32
      My 2002 6.0 AWD Escalade recently starting making loud popping sounds only during acceleration. I had a shop take a look at it and said it was my transfer case. My question is does a 2002 denali xl with 6.0 AWD and so will the transfer case fit my Escalade? The transfer case that came out the Denali is a np149 but will it function correctly on my Escalade? I'm a little confused because I heard I need the Denali vin to make sure it won't blow my transmission?
    • By cprinci
      Brought my truck into the shop due to a "Service 4wd" light, as well as the selector switch acting up. Mechanic inspected the transfer case, found it shot with a lot of loose slack on the chain. He indicated it was an NP8 transfer case going to a M30 transmission. Could someone help with the part number naming on these? Trying to find a replacement online but don't want to buy the wrong one. Open to recommendations where to find the best refurb/used case as well.
    • By mjwoods
      I've had this 95 GMC K1500 for a few years now and haven't had use of my 4 wheel drive for most of the time. When I bought the truck I could shift into 4H but it was difficult. To shift into 4L was nearly impossible. By the time winter rolled around I tried to throw it in 4H and the lever wouldn't budge. The shifter is completely locked in 2H. Any idea what the issue could be? I haven't been able to find much on this issue.

Thanks.
    • By Ridersfan
      I have a truck with a manual stick shifted transfer case. I'm pretty sure that the shift knob is a push on, not a thread on and I'd like to change the shift knob to a custom one just to be different. All of the custom shift knobs I've spotted are threaded on. Anyone do this and find a good selection of custom push on knobs?