03-07 Silverado 1500 Z71 suspension question

The rear has a 2"block where the 2wd truck has no block. I believe the torsion bar setup gives the front a lil more height than the 2wd's coil front

Torsion bars wont affect the ride height unless they are "cranked". Torsion bars are basically a spring and are easier to make ride height adjustments on than a coilover suspension.

4x4 trucks usually do sit a bit higher than the 2wd models for the GMT800. The only vehicles that came from the GM factory lifted were the S10 ZR2 model trucks and blazer.

All of the GMT900 model trucks are the same height, 4x4, 2wd, doesn't matter. They are all the same, 9" of GC. The "rake" of the truck just makes them look a little different

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Are you looking to put a lift or leveling kit into your truck? Your torsion keys are not easily viewable while installed. They are located just inside the frame rails a little past your transfer case. Just follow your torsion bars back from the control arms. The rear blocks will be under your leaf spring packs and on top on the axle. It literally looks like a block. If you get a Chiltons book for your truck they have pretty good pics of these things.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Are you looking to put a lift or leveling kit into your truck? Your torsion keys are not easily viewable while installed. They are located just inside the frame rails a little past your transfer case. Just follow your torsion bars back from the control arms. The rear blocks will be under your leaf spring packs and on top on the axle. It literally looks like a block. If you get a Chiltons book for your truck they have pretty good pics of these things.

I'm looking to put in a lift kit into my truck. Unfortunately, it's a 2WD extended cab equipped with an undeniably weak 4.3 Vortec. I'm not looking to take it off roading but just to lift it up a little so it can closely mimic or slightly exceed the real Z71 height.

Since your truck is 2WD and has a front coilover suspension, all you need to lift the front end are some spacers (leveling kit). They can be had for around $110 and allow for 32"-33" tires and will give you 2"-2.5" of front lift.

The 1999-2006 2WD trucks do not have rear blocks from the factory. You would need to install a set to add lift to the rear of your truck. Rough Country has the lowest prices on rear blocks and are good quality blocks. For 1.5" of rear lift, you would need part # 6528. For 2" you would need part #6579. Both part numbers will fit 1999-2012 2WD trucks.

The problem you will run into with the rear blocks being added is shock length. Adding rear blocks is going to stretch your shock and most likely cause them to bottom out going over bumps. You will either need to replace them with longer shocks, OR buy a set of brackets that will lower the mounting point of the top of the rear shocks by 3".

A full lift kit of good quality will cost you at least $400 or more for a 2WD that will consist of new front lift spindels and a set of shocks that you most likely won't care for. You are much better off price wise adding a front level and some rear blocks to get the small amount of lift you are looking for...........Either way be sure to have a front end alignment done after lifting your truck.

Never did ask, what is the year of your truck? And don't get down on yourself about that 4.3 Vortec. I had that engine in all my S-10's and it was impressive. Might not be as good in the heavier truck but it's definately bullettproof and has plenty of power for it's size.

Rough country makes a 3 inch kit for about $430. Myself, I ordered a truxxx 2.5 inch leveling kit from bytor custom truck. About $110 I believe. My truck is 2wd. I also have the rear block from a 2007 current body style z71 that is 1.25 inches. Raised it up a little and I still have a slight rake. Truxxx also makes a level/lift kit which has the leveling kit I have, with a 1" block.I love where my truck sits now.

Since your truck is 2WD and has a front coilover suspension, all you need to lift the front end are some spacers (leveling kit). They can be had for around $110 and allow for 32"-33" tires and will give you 2"-2.5" of front lift.

The 1999-2006 2WD trucks do not have rear blocks from the factory. You would need to install a set to add lift to the rear of your truck. Rough Country has the lowest prices on rear blocks and are good quality blocks. For 1.5" of rear lift, you would need part # 6528. For 2" you would need part #6579. Both part numbers will fit 1999-2012 2WD trucks.

The problem you will run into with the rear blocks being added is shock length. Adding rear blocks is going to stretch your shock and most likely cause them to bottom out going over bumps. You will either need to replace them with longer shocks, OR buy a set of brackets that will lower the mounting point of the top of the rear shocks by 3".

A full lift kit of good quality will cost you at least $400 or more for a 2WD that will consist of new front lift spindels and a set of shocks that you most likely won't care for. You are much better off price wise adding a front level and some rear blocks to get the small amount of lift you are looking for...........Either way be sure to have a front end alignment done after lifting your truck.

Never did ask, what is the year of your truck? And don't get down on yourself about that 4.3 Vortec. I had that engine in all my S-10's and it was impressive. Might not be as good in the heavier truck but it's definately bullettproof and has plenty of power for it's size.

It's 2007 Chevy Silverado GMT 800 truck. Extended cab with 4.3 Vortec. What I really want is just a 3 inch rear lift and maybe 2 inch in the front to mimic the Z71 Silverado. I'm not looking to make this truck go offroading because its a 2wd with a 4.3. Just want it to be higher and the wheels I want to put on it are the 07-12 Silverado Z71 18 inch wheels with the Bridgestone dueler tires.

Well the truxxx 2.5 front/1 rear will make it work. To go higher u need the rough country lift which is 3" front lifted by spindles. Not sure on block size. But $200 vs almost $500. I can fit 33" tires. I still have some rake so I don't sag when I tow or load the bed

The tire on those wheels is a 265/65R18 which is 31.56 inches tall and 10.43 wide. I run a 275/55R20 which is 31.91 inches tall and 10.83 wide. So you would be good because what i m running is slightly larger and I have no issues. And I'm using a stock offset wheel.

Sounds like you will be close to where you want to be with a 2" front level & 2" rear blocks. Doing the rear with a 3" block will probably give you to much rake since the 2wd and the stock is really noticable.

Going with a front spindle lift kit will move your tires out and in turn change the front width of your truck sidewall to sidewall and may cause your tires to rub the inner fenders at full lock and possibly bumps depending on tire size.

A leveling kit will not change the width of the front footprint, it simply raises the front end using a spacer.

I would suggest taking a measurement on level ground from the ground to top of wheel well both front and rear. Whatever the difference is that's obviously how much rake you have in the truck. Add whatever amount of lift you are going with to the front measurement and you will know exactly which size blocks you will need to have the rear level or slightly raked. Most likely going to be 1.5"-2" blocks needed for the 4wd appearance look that you want.

Be careful on tire size when getting different tires after you raise the truck. From experience of years working at my buddies 4x4 shop in my free time, I can tell you that all tires are not the same, even though the sidewall may have the same size printed on it, the actual size may be different depending on brands, manufacturers, and type of tire. Some tires like BFG's are known to run a little smaller than advertised. Tires like Super Swampers run larger than advertised. The GoodYear tires with Kevlar also seem measure taller than advertised (these are just some we use a lot). Take that into consideration before replacing your tires because someone else claims that's what size they have.

Make sure you post some pics. when finished. Take your time with the install and it shouldn't be a problem with either the leveling kit or lift spindles.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

I probably go with that 2 inch rear lift and 1.5 inch on the front, I like it to have a slight lean towards the front. Where can I get this kind of kit and and do I have to replace the shocks on it. It has new Monroe Sensatrac shocks installed on the rear. This is what it looks like now.

plain jane truck

You will need to order a leveling kit for the front, and 2" blocks for the rear. Your rear shocks should not have to be replaced but relocation brackets should be used if you don't replace them with a longer shock.

Rocky Mountain Suspensions has good prices and ships fast. Give them a try.

Archived