6.2L gas issues

I recently purchased a 2009 6.2L denali AWD it has a 3 inch lift kit, 35" nitto mud grapplers, and I get around 11 MPG

I purchased a diablosport predator tuner and an airraid CAI im wondering what else can i do to get better MPG's without removing my lift or tires as i like the look

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What grade gas do you run? With the lift and tires your not going to get very good mpg.

By the way I am getting 11-12 running E85 on a basically stock truck.

Unless Diablo changed stuff on the hand helds, it gave my 6.2 worse mileage than stock, and zero power gains. I ended up selling it and getting a Westers tune. Netting me 1-2 MPG on the highway, better throttle reponses, more all around power. Best money every spend on her.

I posted recently on here about MPG on a 6.2L. I am going to run 91 ( we don't have 93 here) this weekend on my road trip with my boat. My question is that a few folks here say the 6.2l is recommended to use 93 but my owners manual on my 2012 6.2l says recommended is 87.

I run 93 octane in my 6.2 and I have done so from day one. I get decent mileage if I keep my foot out of the gas...13 city, 16 highway are my averages. Obviously less if I am towing or diving fast.

I posted recently on here about MPG on a 6.2L. I am going to run 91 ( we don't have 93 here) this weekend on my road trip with my boat. My question is that a few folks here say the 6.2l is recommended to use 93 but my owners manual on my 2012 6.2l says recommended is 87.

My fuel door states 93

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight out of the '12 owners manual under "Recommended Fuel"............

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code 2), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, the engine needs service."

Anytime you change the truck from stock its going to affect mileage. You have to make a decision, do you want looks or you want fuel economy. If you want looks, keep spending money of things that increase power (tunes, CAI, Exhaust) and change the aerodynamics (big tires & lift & extra weigh of add ons) and your mileage will continue to go down hill. If fuel economy is what you want, return it to stock and use the money saved to buy gas.

I find claims that people increased HP and improved fuel economy at the same time to be dubious. Many tuners will talk mileage improvements but try to get them to put that in writing and guarantee it. I doubt that will happen, the use the tag line to convince you to use their product.

Btw - My 2012 Denali has been over 17 mpg in the first 1600 miles but mileage was not a concern when I bought this truck.

Archived