6.2L gas issues

My 2012 denali OM on page 9-6 "Driving and operating section says the recomended octane gas is 87. I get around 16 mpg in this balmy mich 50 degree weather.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how a 6.2 w/10.5:1 compression ratio in 2011 can go from 91 recommended (mine) to 87 in 2012. But then again, I've always wondered how the 3.6 in my wife's '09 Traverse can have a 11.4:1 compression ratio and recommend 87, or even how my '95 Caprice cast iron LT1 could have a 10.5:1 comp ratio and run just fine on the recommended 87.

I find claims that people increased HP and improved fuel economy at the same time to be dubious.

I agree, with one caveat. It's possible to improve "torque delivery" at heavy throttle, and to give "quicker" delivery, while also tuning low and mid throttle driving parameters. If a person makes use of the heavier throttle, mpg will go straight down. That said, I wouldn't use most of the handhelds if you gave them to me.

I use 87 octane 100% gas in my 5.3 and if I drive 60, I can get 19-20 hwy. In the city I average 16-17 being good. If I throttle it everywhere and not baby it I will get 14-16 avg.

I have homemade intake and magnaflow 14" muffler.

I use 87 octane 100% gas in my 5.3 and if I drive 60, I can get 19-20 hwy. In the city I average 16-17 being good. If I throttle it everywhere and not baby it I will get 14-16 avg.

My 2012 denali OM on page 9-6 "Driving and operating section says the recomended octane gas is 87. I get around 16 mpg in this balmy mich 50 degree weather.

Just checked the owner's manual on your truck as well and this is, again, what I came up with........

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (VIN Code 2), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, the engine needs service."

5.3's have no need for premium fuel and aren't even been discussed here. 6.2 L9H's are.

Chevy tech

What page in the manual would this be on? I checked my manual again and it says differantly. This concerns me. I bought this truck in oct 2011, so I assume it is an early 12.

Thanks

John

Well, here is another version I found when I googled 2012 manual.

9-74 Driving and Operating

Vehicles that have a FlexFuel badge

and a yellow fuel cap can use either

unleaded gasoline or ethanol fuel

containing up to 85% ethanol (E85).

See Fuel E85 (85% Ethanol) on

page 9?76. For all other vehicles,

use only the unleaded gasoline

described under Recommended

Fuel on page 9?74.

Recommended Fuel

Use regular unleaded gasoline with

a posted octane rating of 87 or

higher. If the octane rating is less

than 87, an audible knocking noise,

commonly referred to as spark

knock, might be heard when driving.

If this occurs, use a gasoline rated

at 87 octane or higher as soon as

possible. If heavy knocking is heard

when using gasoline rated at

87 octane or higher, the engine

needs service.

Again, for the sight impaired

9-74 Driving and Operating

Vehicles that have a FlexFuel badge

and a yellow fuel cap can use either

unleaded gasoline or ethanol fuel

containing up to 85% ethanol (E85).

See Fuel E85 (85% Ethanol) on

page 9?76. For all other vehicles,

use only the unleaded gasoline

described under Recommended

Fuel on page 9?74.

Recommended Fuel

Use regular unleaded gasoline with

a posted octane rating of 87 or

higher. If the octane rating is less

than 87, an audible knocking noise,

commonly referred to as spark

knock, might be heard when driving.

If this occurs, use a gasoline rated

at 87 octane or higher as soon as

possible. If heavy knocking is heard

when using gasoline rated at

87 octane or higher, the engine

needs service.

Has anyone with a 6.2L paid any attention to the gas filler door?

Here is my truck

DSC00011.jpg

Oh, wow, man! Deja vu!!

Everything I have posted is out of the GM electronic copy of the owners manual. I will have to look it up in my own personal paper copy, that came with my personal truck, to verify the same.

On another note, I'm pretty sure that you won't get this kind of results with ANY 6.2L L9H equipped truck if you run it on 87 octane gasoline.

6.2 is great for hauling, towing, and performance. Unfortunately, you need to make over $100,000 a year if you're gonna drive it everyday. I take a Silverado Z71 6.2 over a Mercedes-Benz.

See above. I make less than half that and I'm doing just fine driving it everyday, thanks.

post-84205-133588002445_thumb.jpg

Archived