3.73 vs 4.10

I am looking at ordering a sierra 2500 w/ 6.0. I am trying to decide between a 3.73 and 4.10. Is there a big difference between MPG between them? With a 6 speed trans is it that much of a difference at highway speeds with engine rpm's? I am coming from a 1500 silverado 5.3/3.42/4 spd trans so at highway speeds it runs about 1700-1800 rpm's.

Go with the 4.10s. The MPGs with be very little. The tow rating between the two is at least a thousand pounds I believe. I have two 07 one tons at work with the 6 speed 4.10 combo and they tow trailers very well in town, on interstate I do wish I had the diesel but I drive mostly city streets anyway.

How big do you tow? Weight? How often?

With 4.10 gears, tow rating on all cab configuration gas HD trucks is 13000lbs. With 3.73 gears, tow ratings go from 10200 lbs (reg cab long box 2wd) down to 9300 lbs (crew cab long box 4x4). If you are looking for more pulling grunt and the higher tow rating, go for the 4.10 gears. If you feel 3.73 gears would work, you could go that way. Mileage wise, very little difference.

I have no data, but have read a lot of posts. I'd assume ~2 mpg less on the hwy w/ the 4.10, and no difference in town. It really depends on how much you drive it on the hwy vs how much and often you tow.

here is a little more info....I will be towing a boat (5000 lbs) and a camper (7500 lbs), family of 5. Miles driven will be 80% without towing with a good bit on the interstate.

The pulling power w/ the 3.73 will be more than adequate for those loads, imho. I pull ~ the same weight camper w/ truck in sig, and would go w/ the 3.73 myself if going to a new 2500HD/6.0 (assuming stock tires, etc.).

I bought mine with 3.73s because it was the only option on the lot. If I was ordering, I'd spend the $100 to go with 4.10s. In fact, I'd spend the extra $800-1000 and get a 3500HD for the extra ratings.

You should be fine with 3.73s though. I don't know why, but it bothers me that I have this massive truck with boxed frame and excellent build quality, yet my rating is a paltry 9300/9600 lbs , which many half-tons can "beat". (On paper, at least).

Love my truck though.

-edit-

One more thing, on the 2500 v 3500 thing, the difference is about $1k. $400 of that $1k goes to the Towing Mirrors which are standard on 3500s and and option on 2500s. Difference really is an overload spring and increased payload ratings. It shouldn't effect ride at ALL unloaded because the overload spring won't be engaged.

If I had to do it over, I'd have got my same truck in 3500 for sure, and I'm 50/50 on 4.10s (because I really don't need it).

I'd go with 4:10's in a heartbeat. I've never heard of anyone complaining because they didn't get low enough gears...but I've heard many, many stories about guys who wished they had lower gears than what their truck came with. Plus, if you run a little taller tire with the 4:10, the overall ratio will be close to 3:73 anyway.

My buddy switched his gears from 3:73s to 4:10s before he did lift and tires on an '10 half ton. His around town mileage actually increased and hwy stayed the same. Before he lifted it and put 35's lol. He did gears first.

I'd go with 4:10's in a heartbeat. I've never heard of anyone complaining because they didn't get low enough gears...but I've heard many, many stories about guys who wished they had lower gears than what their truck came with. Plus, if you run a little taller tire with the 4:10, the overall ratio will be close to 3:73 anyway.

My dad is the only one Ive heard of. He bought a 98 3500 because the 2500 CC option was not popular yet, and even when he found one, it was short bed. So, he ended up with the 3500 CCLWB single wheel. He complained about the 4.10s every time he filled up. Then he bought an 05 CC 2500HD over a regular 2500 because he diceided he wanted the 4.10 gears. :rolleyes:

I had an 06 2500 with 3.73 gears and I wished on a regular basis for 4.10s. Im not sure how the 6 speed compares, but on the 4spd, it was a world of difference in the power and fuel mileage. He got 12 while I got 15, all other thing the same.

I want to say that on my 2001 Suburban 2500, it had 3.73 gears and it got 17mpg on the hwy all the time. If you tow less than 9000lbs the 3.73 aren't bad. But if you were to get bigger tires you will feel the difference.

If you're gonna tow the boat and the camper at the same time, you'll prolly want the 4.10's. But if you're pulling one at a time, the 3.73's should be good enough. If I had the choice between the two, though, I'd go 4.10.

These pigs can't pass a gas station as it is and at almost $5.00 a gallon gas AGAIN I would get

the 3:73s again to save every bit of gas I could! I tow my big camper, boat and toy box just

fine with the 6.0 auto 3:73s.....................

Be prepared for 10 mpg no matter what!

I have 3.73 rear in my truck, and so far I have not had a problem with mine.

My truck has pulled / hauled anything I have tried and goes just fine. :driving:

My truck is listed below.

I have 3.73 rear in my truck, and so far I have not had a problem with mine.

My truck has pulled / hauled anything I have tried and goes just fine. :driving:

My truck is listed below.

Of course your truck pulls and hauls everything just fine with 3:73's....it's a Duramax. :lol:

Archived