Just how much weight can I put in the bed of a 2500HD?

I need to go and get a pallet (1 ton) of water softener salt and I'm wondering how much you guys have loaded on your 2500HD's? I'm sure a lot of you have loaded up your trucks with dirt, rocks, lumber that has been close to a ton, maybe even a little more, lol.

I haven't, but my FIL's 5th wheel puts more weight than that on the pin, and it only squats a little. The payload rating is ~3000 lbs on the later model 2500HDs, iirc.

My payload rating is around 3600 lbs with me in it, I have put in two bucket loads of river rock and still had about 2-3 inches before it hit the bump stops. But I would say if you have other people in the truck with you and some gear 3000-3200 is a safe bet.

I need to go and get a pallet (1 ton) of water softener salt and I'm wondering how much you guys have loaded on your 2500HD's? I'm sure a lot of you have loaded up your trucks with dirt, rocks, lumber that has been close to a ton, maybe even a little more, lol.

You wont even know it back there.

I've put a 1-ton pallet of wood pellets in the back on my 2011 1500 and it squatted pretty good, but handled it. I think you'll be more than fine to carry atleast 1 ton if you have a 2500.

I've put a 1-ton pallet of wood pellets in the back on my 2011 1500 and it squatted pretty good, but handled it. I think you'll be more than fine to carry atleast 1 ton if you have a 2500.

What he said...

My 1500 has been "abused" more than a few times over the years in the payload department and it's still "standing". My next truck (far future thinking) is going to be a 2500 without a doubt.

I had 6200 lbs of SB2 on mine the second week I had it. It squatted but was not down on the helpers. I wanted to make it work a little.:jester:

6200 lbs WOW!!!!!

Thats F550 territory......

It really depends on your tire and wheel package. Look at the rating on your tires @ 80psi. This number x2 is your max. Safely that is.

My rear axle weight is about 2400lbs, with nothing in the bed and a full tank of fuel. So my tires are 3785 each. X2 = 7550 lbs

10.5 rear axle max is 7700 lbs from axle manufacturer.

So...my max is 5000lbs.

I carry a 4000 lb camper. To do this I added air bags, hellwig sway bar, and extensive brake upgrades.

Here is my old 04 Duramax with 5000 pounds of rock in the back. The truck wasn't on the bump stops but was pretty close. This was the picture that forced me to get new tires. When I bought the truck it had 6-ply tires on it.

gallery_18066_203_837.jpg

gallery_18066_203_24827.jpg

gallery_18066_203_6923.jpg

Here is my old 04 Duramax with 5000 pounds of rock in the back. The truck wasn't on the bump stops but was pretty close. This was the picture that forced me to get new tires. When I bought the truck it had 6-ply tires on it.

gallery_18066_203_837.jpg

gallery_18066_203_24827.jpg

gallery_18066_203_6923.jpg

That's awesome, a Chevy at its finest, hauling with a purpose and does the job GOOOOOOOD! Definitely looks like the tires didn't care for the load though.

Archived