Popping noise when turning and reverse

Started hearing a popping noise in the front end when i was in a slow turn to the right. Checked for looseness in the front end but couldnt really tell.

Also when I put the truck in reverse and start backing up I hear one loud clunk as Im backing up. Its not when I shift into reverse but about five feet after Im already moving. Not sure if this is related to something in the front end.

Any ideas?

The popping could be hub bearing, cv joints, steering shaft(s). Jack it up and double check everything.

As to when you're backing up...that's a new one. Usually as you shift or just start moving, but already moving...?

Are your brake free when you start backing up? How many miles are on your truck? Do you have the G80 (locking rear diff)?

Edited by 06SierraZ71
  • Like 1

I do have a leveling kit so that might have made some wear prematurely. I'll jack it and check again.

Yeah the clunk when backing up is weird, its after I'm already moving, not on the brakes, going slow and straight back. And its just one loud clunk, no binding or anything and after that everything is "normal".

48000 miles

Edited by c03camson

Dumb question, I know, but is 4WD engaged when this happens? Reason I bring that up is because this happened to me once in my '00 Denali on dry pavement; noticed that the previous driver had inadvertently engaged the 4WD. Guess I built up a little windup energy in the drivetrain; glad I caught it when I did.

I had something similar to this. After I had it aligned one of the shops didn't fully tighten, and I mean FULLY TIGHTEN the upper control arms. They are supposed to be at like 150 lbs/ft. After I tighted them up with a torque wrench problem went bye-bye. I noticed it one day when I was letting the truck down off a pump jack.

Let me know what you figure out c03camson. I have the exact same issue as you describe. I recently (within the last 1000 miles) put a leveling kit on and had the front end aligned. Ill have to check my upper control arms as CapitalTruck suggested.

I did just get an alignment not too long ago. truck is in 2wd when this is happening.

The three upper bolts to the coil over are tight as can be. Im going to jack er up this weekend hopefully and find something loose. If not, I will be taking it to a shop because I cant afford to be breaking down on this 5000 mile move im about to make!

Cannot duplicate the reverse clunk noise anymore, not sure what thats about.

Edited by c03camson

if its not the upper control arm like CapitalTruck mentioned, its most likely a ball joint! had the exact same thing happen on my old truck (98 dakota) and it was the ball joints that were bad

Very similar to what I heard when I had a wheel bearing go out. Happened at low speeds clunking/clicking noises from the front end, once up to highway speed it went away.. Took it to the dealership since I THOUGHT it was still under warranty, confirmed it needed a new wheel bearing, unfortunatly the warranty expired 2 months before.

Sure enough both control arm bolts were loose on my passenger side, (side I was noticing my noise). Got another 3/4 to a full turn on both of them. I have not noticed the noise since. Crazy thing is yesterday I got the truck re re-aligned and nothing had moved, it was still within specs. Strange they were loose enough to make a popping sound but tight enough not to move. Thanks c03camson for your helpful info! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

i have the exact same problem. 2wd 08 cc gmc. it makes the popping noise with right turns and when i turn the wheel to the right during reverse. the popping noise is especially there when i turn the wheel right and i'm backing my camper into spot. i'm very interested in what you find. please keep me posted. i'm going to canada for fishing and my father and brother in law are saying we might take my truck and pull the boat up there.

i have the exact same problem. 2wd 08 cc gmc. it makes the popping noise with right turns and when i turn the wheel to the right during reverse. the popping noise is especially there when i turn the wheel right and i'm backing my camper into spot. i'm very interested in what you find. please keep me posted. i'm going to canada for fishing and my father and brother in law are saying we might take my truck and pull the boat up there.

Ummm read the post above yours, number 12.

I also have this issue! I had the clunk sound from the rear end....the popping sound is definitely coming from the front end. The dealer said the clunking (mine sounds more like a creak on a wooden floor) from the rear is most likely a leaf spring. I won't know until I take her back in and get the driver side leaf replaced. They said they thought maybe the sounds were related- however I know they are not. I will have to mention the control arms once I take it back in. My truck barely has 15k on it..hard to believe a ball joint would go bad already. The sounds are eerily similar, though. Can't be a wheel bearing. I'm awfully familiar with the clicking of a bad bearing. Usually the popping is noticed more when reversing into a parking spot at low speeds..but it happens going forward too. Usually when going lock to lock

Edited by CoreySP