What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

On 10/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, Jsdirt said:

Automakers should get training from Boeing, Beechcraft, Cessna, etc. on how to manufacture RELIABLY in the 21st Century!

Problem is, starting prices are half a Mil ... :uhoh:  but most prop-driven units still use POINTS and CARBURETORS. Imagine that!

Not a pilot so I can't say for sure, but I think  Lycoming and maybe other small engine aircraft suppliers still use a magneto driven ignition system. Saw a report years ago about the state of litigation in this country, the magneto was tried and true and the manufacturers were afraid to switch to electronic ignition because that first crash would bring on a big suit whether the ignition was at fault or not. As far as carbs we can go all the way back to WWII. The Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 was one hell of a motor, Brits used it in all their aircraft and the American licensed Packard Merlin was used in the P-51, the Merlin V-12 was undoubtedly the motor than won the war. That said the Luftwaffe  used an inverted V-12 in their ME-109's with fuel injection that never had fuel starvation problems in inverted flight like the pilots in the Merlin V-12's ran into. I know I digress, I just had to get my little rant out about the sorry state of the civil litigation in this country and how in some cases it stifles innovation and progress like Jsdirt pointed out with civil aviation. 

Yeah no question - lawyers will be the death of the world. I live under it - MA is run 100% by lawyers! :sick:

Got to admit though, nothing wrong with mags and carbs - they just plain work. Wish they litigated this for automobiles - would certainly make my life a whole lot easier!! :)

Edited by Jsdirt

That sucks! My first ever was on my flatbed trailer too. No spare, and no tools! Had to use the spare tire tools and jack from my Silverado's kit in the back seat area. Lug wrench was super loose on the lug nuts, but was able to get all 6 off of there. Had to lay in the shoulder with syringes, cigarette butts, and dirty diapers everywhere, and shoveled that dirty sand down my shirt with every crank of that shitty jack. Tire was still so hot after all that I could barely hold onto it to throw it in the back!

I drove 350 miles back home with the rear axle hanging on the passenger side. 50 of those miles were with a Toyota Tacoma on the trailer. Delivered the truck and made it back home without getting an extra tax bill. :thumbs:

After this adventure, I installed a pair of Viair compressors in the back of the Silverado. No more wasting time and fuel driving around looking at gas stations that have no air, or no access to it.

Trailer, flatbed, blown tire, 3 wheels.jpg

Trailer, flatbed, blown tire.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt

...so a buddy came and bailed me out. Five miles later I blew another one. Now he’s driving me 100 mile round trip to Walmart as every other tire shop in the state seems to be closed. All they have that will fit are passenger tires, and we had to beg for them to say they will mount them due to load ratings... What a damn day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I spotted this last year while towing my boat along the highway.  I saw the wheel wobbling in the side mirror and pulled over right away.  I was lucky the tire didn't blow while on the road.  

You can see that the profile of the tread is curved.  No the rim isn't bent.  The cords within the tire must have broke.  I think the tire was just too old.   Goodyear Marathons are what I use inflated to 40 psi.  

I carry a spare and the correct lug wrench for the trailer....

IMG_2972.PNG

• Like 1

Trailer tires and trailer brakes are the 2 key points that drivers do not pay enough attention to.  You knew what you were doing though having the spare and right parts and paying attention to pressure. 

On 10/22/2017 at 4:38 PM, Sour_Squirrel said:

I spotted this last year while towing my boat along the highway.  I saw the wheel wobbling in the side mirror and pulled over right away.  I was lucky the tire didn't blow while on the road.  

You can see that the profile of the tread is curved.  No the rim isn't bent.  The cords within the tire must have broke.  I think the tire was just too old.   Goodyear Marathons are what I use inflated to 40 psi.  

I carry a spare and the correct lug wrench for the trailer....

IMG_2972.PNG

:lol::lol::lol: I've seen alot of tire failures, but that one is a first for me! :D

Well I got my latest oil anaylsis back from blackstone.  All looks good.

Had a scare beginning of the year which I never really mentioned as I wanted to see where it was going.  The iron, silicon, and a few other items spiked.  It was odd where it was going.  I thought lets try something so I  swapped out the air filter (was running a K&N) for a stock version and ill be damned all the values dropped to average or below average.  For the last 2 oil changes (7ish months) the results are holding steady.  Blackstone was surprised the air filter change made such improvements.  I am sticking with the stock filter going forward.  

• Like 1