What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

The Grand Cherokee I have now has 2 AGM batteries. Both under the passenger seat. One regular battery and one power wheels sized thing that runs accessories when the Engine Stop/Start kicks in (which it never does, I disabled that trash). Not planning on keeping this long enough to find out what those damn things cost. :lol: 

• Like 1

Yep - AGM's ain't cheap. But, take care of them (with the right charger) and they'll last 12 years.

They'll also handle a TON of abuse - you can run them down to nothing like a deep-cycle many, many times, and not have to worry,  unlike with a regular lead-acid battery.

But, to tell you the truth, if I had to do it again, I'd have just bought a regular lead-acid. The constant maintenance with the charger (mine sits alot) is a pain in the ass. The ECM-controlled charging systems on these newer trucks don't play well with AGMs, since they weren't designed for them. They cut the voltage off far too soon.
I have yet to even draw mine down enough for the pickup to cut off acc mode. It seems to crank better in the cold than most.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven't either - even with several key-off 5-minute + runs of my dual Viair compressors pulling 60A at startup, and about 30A continuous. It cranked over slow once, but it started.

5a616ba5e59cd_SilveradoViairaircompressorinstalled.thumb.JPG.06c44d00a03d32d418a01cd8c91db88b.JPG

Yeah, warmer climates sure make a big difference in electrical component longevity! Learned that in Phoenix.

A regular Sears Diehard battery I bought in Phoenix in May of 2000, and brought back to MA in May of '01, lasted me until the summer of 2011. I normally average 8 years out of all batteries here in MA, unless there's some catastrophic external damage.

The battery I personally prepped (shipped bone dry) for my Yamaha generator was 8 years old this past October. No signs of weakness yet. How it's prepped makes all the difference too, and I went above and beyond. Hoping to get 12 years out of this one. We'll see! :)

5a616d5a3191f_Newgeneratorbatteryprep.jpg.7bb8fc30643a051ff786e6e5e6ac2d53.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt

I won’t be buying any battery soon. If I stick with my dealer for all scheduled maintenance, I’ll get free batteries, oil changes and tire rotations for as long as I own the vehicle.

Diamond Chevrolet, Auburn MA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow, that's a deal! Nicely done!

Got DUMPED on with snow yesterday and through the night. Storm warning was for 5-8 inches, I would bet we exceeded that by a bit. 

Some of it likely was from impatience, but I had a hard time keeping the SR-As planted early yesterday morning when I came back from Gillette. Was going around a corner 10 under when I launched into a leisurely drift. Nothing the ol' turn into it reflex couldn't handle, but disconcerting nonetheless. Then yesterday when I was out tooling around, had a few slides I did NOT enjoy at first. Slowed down some and that seemed to fix the problem, but these 275 55 20s just do not seem as sure footed as the 265 65 18s. May have some new tires in my future. As sweet as the KO2s and Duratracs look, I'm thinking some Defenders will suit me well. 

My work truck has been not entirely crappy recently. So there's that. The work mechanics checked out the fuel pump and forgot to bolt everything back together. Luckily I caught it before I blew up :lol:

It actually wasnt bad, just a panel they took off to get to it.

Edited by SnakeEyes 325is

Hey, look at that! Water droplets in liquid form! Been a while since I've seen that ... :D

I haven't cleaned any part of my engine in 11 years. Might clean my cover, now that you mention it. Might look funny, with the rest of my engine covered in crap. Big contrast. 

16 hours ago, 99silveradoz71 said:

Got a new tire yesterday after getting a flat on the highway.

I just recently checked my spare tire for the first time in over 10 years - was completely FLAT! The bead area of the rim was all corroded, and all the air just leaked out from there. Had to break it down, wire wheel the corrosion off, then used rust-proofing bead lube to remount the wheel, aired it up, and blasted the bead area with LPS-3 - should be good for another decade I figure. :) Was also a good time to blast the winch and cable with oil.

Good idea to check that spare every so often! I make a terrible example. I fix everyone else's vehicles and forget the basics on my own, lol.

downsize.jpg.7a96ffa8789cfc2d56493045b5e4468e.jpg

Edited by Jsdirt