What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Yesterday I finally washed my truck. On the way to work last night I stopped to assist a guy broke down on the road. He was trying to push the jeep off the road and a motorcyclist had stopped to help as well but they couldn't get it over the curb. Since I'm too lazy and wasn't about to try pushing I just hooked the tow strap off and pulled him over the curb and off the road. While sitting at the light I watch some idiot almost hit them because he/she most likely wasn't paying a damn bit of attention. Idiot had all the time in the world to scan the intersection area while waiting for the light to change to make a left but I guess thats driving and paying attention stuff is just too much effort. I was going to clean the windows on the truck when I got home from work this morning, I didn't. Instead I removed the old suction cup disc/base and put a larger one on so my phone mount hopefully won't fall off.

I started debating on switching to a 0w30. I will have to change again around august when temps are about 100 degrees. But at operating temp the oil is the same weight as the 5w30.

I went from 5w-30 to a 10w-30 at around 77k miles. My oil analysis showed far less aluminum and iron (piston and rings) afterward.

0w-20 is like water. It's a wonder the engines last as long as they do. I'd go to a 5w-30 personally, or even a 10w-30 since you're in CA. Synthetic will still flow good.

Edited by Jsdirt

I went from 5w-30 to a 10w-30 at around 77k miles. My oil analysis showed far less aluminum and iron (piston and rings) afterward.

0w-20 is like water. It's a wonder the engines last as long as they do. I'd go to a 5w-30 personally, or even a 10w-30 since you're in CA. Synthetic will still flow good.

10w30 is in the plans too. I'm going to spend about 18 months running all 3 grades with analysis. I also run my truck differently. And if vehicles are lasting longer on thinner oil, something is being done right. I'm going to start with 0w, and depending on when my next change is due, pick 5 or 10. Then do the remaining. I'm bored and curious. And since I sell Amsoil, the data could be useful.

Nice - let us know what you find. I'm a dealer too - run Sig. Series in the Silverado and Volvo. The Marquis leaks too much to be cost effective, although the timing chain/cover job may have decreased it's oil usage - we'll see.

I would've sent in an analysis tomorrow for the truck, but I got home today and forgot I had sold the last of my case of 10w-30 a couple weeks ago. Guess I'll have to put a few more miles on it.

Doubt I have even 5k miles on this oil, but it's been in there since December of 2015.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

I can only get 0w30 in signature so the complete test all has to be run in signature with the EAO64 filter. So far I've run my 6.0 and my brothers Rainier with the LM4 on 5w30 XL and OE and both with Wix 51522XP filters

You should be able to get the full range of viscosities in Sig. Series, except for 10w-40 & 20w-50.

I remember when Sig.Series first came out, 0w-30 was the only one available, but now they've got quite a few to choose from:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/

I know. I'm saying the only way I can get 0w30 is sig series. To keep it a direct test, all need to be sig series. I can't run sig 0w30, euro 5w30, and z-rod 10w30

I know. I'm saying the only way I can get 0w30 is sig series. To keep it a direct test, all need to be sig series. I can't run sig 0w30, euro 5w30, and z-rod 10w30

Ahh, misinterpreted what you were saying.

Yeah, definitely want to keep it apples to apples, for sure.

Finally got my LT Z71 Grille on, my LT 20' wheels, and my exhaust. Turns out my truck didn't look as good as I thought.

It looks 12 million times better.

The weather has been uncharacteristically spring like around here, so I haven't had the chance to wash him yet, but once I do I'll bombard you guys with glamor shots.

So happy with how everything turned out. Usually when you have an idea of how something will look, the actual product is about what you'd expect. This turned out so much better it's crazy.

The exhaust sounds SO GOOD...now Clyde sounds like a truck, not a Spark.

Cold start before:

WP 20170320 06 36 44 Pro

Cold start after:

WP 20170422 06 38 35 Pro

:chevy:

Edited by CadillacLuke24

The rear exhaust hanger vanished from my '89 GMC Sierra, the one that bolts to the frame, soooo, I pulled the restrictive 2.5" catback glasspack system off the truck, it's much louder now, that makes me happy. :D

Probably gonna get a 3" side dump shorty glasspack system installed, cheap Summit glasspack or something similar, might go for a hollow cat too.

Oh, and I decided to be really lazy today, so I used my truck (And an old fan belt) to drag the trash can down the driveway. 'Cause 200 some odd horses is exactly what you need to do just that task.

Edited by Dead Reckon

The rear exhaust hanger vanished from my '89 GMC Sierra, the one that bolts to the frame, soooo, I pulled the restrictive 2.5" catback glasspack system off the truck, it's much louder now, that makes me happy. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrEft7ovQs4

Probably gonna get a 3" side dump shorty glasspack system installed, cheap Summit glasspack or something similar, might go for a hollow cat too.

Oh, and I decided to be really lazy today, so I used my truck (And an old fan belt) to drag the trash can down the driveway. 'Cause 200 some odd horses is exactly what you need to do just that task.

It takes 345 HP

8db1c4de59d8deabca761e5edd5e91d6.jpg

• Like 2