TPMS Dash Light Will not turn off?

Ryan00TJ

Actually GM has one of the best TPM systems out there compared to the other auto makers. The batteries will go out after 3-4 years. Expect that to happen.

I believe but could be wrong that they advertise longer life than that. If the batteries were replaceable it wouldn't be a big deal but at $100+ dollars a pop each its an annoying recurring unneccessary expense! I'd prefer it if you could just disable the system without the annoying dash light.

• Like 1

Never a good idea to simply replace the batteries in the sensors. Ideally it is best to replace those things every 3-4 years when you end up getting new tires. In many cases, when tires are taken off of the rims, the sensors will be jarred and damaged. It is just the way that most of them are designed. Most tire shops have what they call "rebuild/replacement" kits and strongly urge the customers to go with that when they do get new tires, to prevent the customer from having to come back several months or a year later down the road due to TPS failure.

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone

The TPMS warning light comes ON and stays ON, take caution. This means that one or more of your tires may have a low-pressure condition. You should carefully slow the vehicle and park in a safe and secure place. You should then inspect all of your tires and check the air pressure.The TPMS light should turn off within several minutes after reinflating the tires to their recommended pressure.

Never a good idea to simply replace the batteries in the sensors. Ideally it is best to replace those things every 3-4 years when you end up getting new tires. In many cases, when tires are taken off of the rims, the sensors will be jarred and damaged. It is just the way that most of them are designed. Most tire shops have what they call "rebuild/replacement" kits and strongly urge the customers to go with that when they do get new tires, to prevent the customer from having to come back several months or a year later down the road due to TPS failure.

Never had to worry about any of that back when a tire pressure guage alone was good enough. Maybe when mine go bad ill just put black tape over the idiot light or get rid of the bulb somehow. These sensors are a waste of money to me. Edited by Daryl NHT

• 11 months later...

I thought one of my sensors was bad on my 2008 Silverado because my TPMS light has been on for about a year. FF to yesterday when Discount tires wouldnt balance or install the set of wheels and tires that I purchased off of craigslists w/o removing and using the old sensors from my truck on the new set of wheels and tires. I was going to get them to replace the bad sensor ($60 each) so that damn light would go off but all of the sensors were working per their scan tool. I'm glad I didnt have to shell out $60 per sensor but Im totally confused as to why the light is still on. I'll check the spare when I get home but I cant imagine it having a sensor. any other ideas?

I thouigh I read somewhere, but cannot find it right now, that the 2007 and some 2008 model years had a software fault that required a reflash of the computer to correct the TPMS light coming on for no explainable reason. If you have pressure readings in all tires in the DIC but a warning light keeps coming on it would be in the computer and NOT the tires. My TPMS toll can read the temperature and battery strenght of my sensors and at over 4+ years old they are still above 50% battery life left on both sets (one set OEM and theother Orange Electronics).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought one of my sensors was bad on my 2008 Silverado because my TPMS light has been on for about a year. FF to yesterday when Discount tires wouldnt balance or install the set of wheels and tires that I purchased off of craigslists w/o removing and using the old sensors from my truck on the new set of wheels and tires. I was going to get them to replace the bad sensor ($60 each) so that damn light would go off but all of the sensors were working per their scan tool. I'm glad I didnt have to shell out $60 per sensor but Im totally confused as to why the light is still on. I'll check the spare when I get home but I cant imagine it having a sensor. any other ideas?

I also bought a set of used wheels/tires for winter use. Former owner pulled the sensors for his new wheels/tires. Shortly after I installed them I noticed a soft tire and found a nail in it. My local Discount Tire repaired the tire. They did tell me I was missing the sensors, but did not refuse to do the repair.

Your spare will not have a sensor.

I have had 3 of 4 TPMS sensors fail in my 2009 Sierra in the past and now the 4th one has shot craps. All in less than 4 years! Junk, aggravating system!

I am not sure the life of the sensors. I heard the will go into "sleep" mode when not in motion. So they may last longer in something that gets limited use, like a summer only car. I thinking if one of a set dies, replace them all, or if getting new tires replace them all, to avoid installation/balance cost again later.

I have never heard of a TPMS sensor with replaceable batteries. They're a sealed unit. The rebuild kits simply change things like the seals and valve stem core.

Agree!

I thouigh I read somewhere, but cannot find it right now, that the 2007 and some 2008 model years had a software fault that required a reflash of the computer to correct the TPMS light coming on for no explainable reason. If you have pressure readings in all tires in the DIC but a warning light keeps coming on it would be in the computer and NOT the tires. My TPMS toll can read the temperature and battery strenght of my sensors and at over 4+ years old they are still above 50% battery life left on both sets (one set OEM and theother Orange Electronics).

What tool do you have that give battery info? Cost? Thank You

• 4 months later...

I was just going to post my problem to this thread but i figured out the fix. Hopefully this may help a few people.

I run drag radials on my truck which means I run tire pressure lower than recommended. I got a low pressure warning on one of my tires the other day and despite airing it up, the warning lights would not go off. So after reading through the manual for the fifth time, I paid attention to the phrase "...recommended tire pressure...". So I added air a bit higher than the sticker on the door jamb and the warning light went out. Lowered pressure back down to where it should be and it's still off.

HTH.

• 1 year later...

Agreed, the TPMS system will not last forever. The batteries in the sensors have a limited lifespan. When it's not the battery that dies it could be a damaged sensor, a missing sensors or an interference that will cause a warning light to come on. Wether you run racing tires, mud tires or simply change from summer to winter tires the TPMS delete module allows you to simulate the original signals.

When paired with the truck the onboard computer will only take the reading from the module. It can be used as a temporary fix for one or all sensors or as a permanent solution.

If you're not a fan of the fancy shmancy electronic systems and prefer the good old tire gauge the unit is available here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TPMS-Delete-Emulator-Simulator-for-Buick-Cadillac-Chevy-GMC-Pontiac-SAAB-Saturn-/162372608080?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT