I'm shopping for one right now. I'm not really confident in all of the Craftsman line up but I'm not going to fork out the coin for a Matco or Snap on. Anybody have a Kobalt box?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was considering the "heavy duty" models. They have larger rollers for the drawers and beefier casters. I never said they were troublesome I just think you can get more for your money. They latching mechinism seems chincy and the drawers seem flimsy. I was also looking at the Viper Tool Storage brand that is sold by Sears.

I bought a US General from the local harbor freight when they had a special deal. It is very nice actually. The castors have grease zerks. The trays have roller bearings, and you can add on additional storage to the sides and top. The only thing that annoys me is the 5 wide trays are not quite tall enough to fit the Hansen socket organizers. They are many other types of tool organization so it wasn't a deal breaker. Ive recommended it to others.

I have a craftsman rollcab I used when I was a semi mechanic. No issues forgive the messy garage

aefee515-8ce5-5e18.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

the kobalt feels kind of low quality to me, the drawers dont feel good when they slide out either. thats just what i have seen.

i think craftsman makes a good box, but i personally would buy a USED snap on box.

Ok so I'll forget the Kobalt. I've looked at the US General boxes at Harbor Fake a few years ago. I didn't like how the finish was textured, which seems like a grease trap. Do they have a smooth finish these days?

If you buy a quality box, if it isn't damadged or stolen, you'll never need to replace it. I'm still using the Craftsman roller bought in 1971. The top is a Mac bought used about 1981. Only problem is neither have roller drawers.

Mark

I looked at this one at the store. It's different than the other ones and marketed as "heavy duty". It would do the job for now and I can add on to it later.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-11-drawer-2-piece-heavy-duty-ball/p-009CO47206701B?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Chest+%26+Cabinet+Combos&prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=L12

Ok so I'll forget the Kobalt. I've looked at the US General boxes at Harbor Fake a few years ago. I didn't like how the finish was textured, which seems like a grease trap. Do they have a smooth finish these days?

Im pretty sure the textured US General box was replaced with a smooth finish version.

I have two of the Kobalt boxes and they are great. I think they are better quality than the Craftsman boxes at my local Sears. The metal seems to be thicker, the drawers more study and seem to open smoother. Plus they were cheaper too. The craftsman ones at the store all seemed pretty flimsy to me.

Overall a good box and I wouldn't hesitate to buy some other boxes.

I went with the US General tool box since it is highly recommended for the price on garagejournal.com. If you look at the weight of the tool boxes you will get a good idea of their quality. The HF bottom box weighs 300 pounds and the top weighs 200 pounds if I remember right.

Forget about the new Craftsman tool boxes. I can bend the drawers with my hand even the Professional series. And Craftsman hand tools have gone way downhill too. It’s getting hard to find their USA hand tools.

photo-6.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Archived