41 replies to this topic

#1 mferry22

mferry22

Enthusiast

• 65 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Drives:2011 chevy silverado 6.2L Nht package

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hey guys I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a 2011 chevy 1500 crew cab LT with the NHT package. I installed nerf bars that mount using the body mount bolts. A few days ago I heard a creaking noise coming from the rear of the truck followed by a clunking sound. This only happens when I drive slowly over uneven terrain. I removed the nerf bars today and the noise is still happening. The clunking/knocking sound is really bothering me any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,015 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Leaf springs?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#3 06SierraZ71

06SierraZ71

Old enough to know that you're not!

• 2,591 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Drives:2006 GMC Sierra SLE 2

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Did you double check all your mounting hardware? Something possibly come loose?
2006 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLE 2, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Z71, 5.3L (L59), 4L60e, 3.42 gears, G80, Auto Trac 4x4, Midnight Blue Metallic, Truxxx leveling kit, K&N air filter, Line-X bed liner, Tekonsha brake controller, Firestone Destination LE2 tires, Monroe Relfex Shocks, Trail FX side steps. 100,000 mile club! Have Fun and Enjoy the Reading!

#4 mferry22

mferry22

Enthusiast

• 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

I did double check the hardware on both sides and torqued the body mount bolts with a torque wrench.I was hoping it was the nerf bars but its not. The sound is coming from the leaf spring area but its weird that the noise started a week or two after I installed the nerf bars. I hope I didnt mess up the troublesome body mounts. Anyway Im bringing it to the dealer tomorrow but you know how noise issues go with the dealer.

#5 Travis Haley

Travis Haley

Enthusiast

• 186 posts
  • Name:Travis Haley
  • Drives:2011 Z71 GMC Sierra Reg cab shorty 5.3L 4x4,silver

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

sounds like leaf springs to me,take a hose to them and get them really wet and see if it stops,mine do it all the time when they get dried out and full of dust,most likley nothing to do with the nerf bars.
2011 Sierra

#6 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,452 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

warranty left ??? take it in ,not your problem ,its GMs !!!!
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#7 mferry22

mferry22

Enthusiast

• 65 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Dropped truck off at dealer, they couldn't replicate the noise. I took mechanic for a ride and got the truck to make both noises. He said the creaking was a body mount and to not use the nerf bars that mount that way. As for the knocking, thumping noise he said he has no idea and doesn't think he can figure it out. This is going to be a hassle, I can feel it.

#8 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,452 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Dropped truck off at dealer, they couldn't replicate the noise. I took mechanic for a ride and got the truck to make both noises. He said the creaking was a body mount and to not use the nerf bars that mount that way. As for the knocking, thumping noise he said he has no idea and doesn't think he can figure it out. This is going to be a hassle, I can feel it.

ya think ? complain to the owner of the store ,if no go ,call regional service manager ,,,shit will get done ,i guarantee it
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#9 mferry22

mferry22

Enthusiast

• 65 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

So picked my truck up from dealer said everything was all set. They lubed up the leaf springs and tightened everything down. Mechanic said he loosened the body mount bolts and retightened them. He said he could see where the body actually shifted by the marks the bolts made. He said nerf bars mounted this way prevent the body from moving the way it should. Also said the thumping noise was a normal noise due to normal wear and tear. I dont believe that for a minute. Anyway got truck home and both noises were worse so I took service writer for a ride and he couldnt believe how loud the noise was. So truck is back at dealer for another look. See what happens.

#10 CoreySP

CoreySP

Enthusiast

• 179 posts
  • Name:Corey
  • Drives:2011 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 4x4

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

So picked my truck up from dealer said everything was all set. They lubed up the leaf springs and tightened everything down. Mechanic said he loosened the body mount bolts and retightened them. He said he could see where the body actually shifted by the marks the bolts made. He said nerf bars mounted this way prevent the body from moving the way it should. Also said the thumping noise was a normal noise due to normal wear and tear. I dont believe that for a minute. Anyway got truck home and both noises were worse so I took service writer for a ride and he couldnt believe how loud the noise was. So truck is back at dealer for another look. See what happens.

Don't have nerf bars of any kind but I too amHaving these same types of weird sounds. clunks in the back to pops in the steering up front. 14k miles...dreading to take it in to the dealer to get diagnosed. Hassles like this for example. :nonod: Keep us updated

Edited by CoreySP, 02 June 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 4x4 Z71 Crew Cab

3.42's, Molded Splash Guards, Wheel Well Liners, 8000k HID Lows, Advent OGM-1, Blackbear Tuned for E85

#11 Foghorn14

Foghorn14

GM-trucks.com member since 2002

• 937 posts
  • Drives:2014 Crew 4x4 Silverado LT

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

I know RyanbabZ71 has been down this road, but my rear leaf springs are super noisy; just like his in his youtube video. I've had the truck back once to the dealer who powerwashed and lubed the springs. Noise was back before I got home. I jacked it up to take the load off the springs washed and sprayed white lithium grease. It has helped for a few weeks.

To the OP I know your noise may be nerf bar related, but it's my experience that suspension squeaking is something very "normal" with these trucks. I'm also reading where late model Ford trucks are having this same sort of problem. Poor materials? Must be a cost cutting measure for Detroit?

th_366CD342-BA8B-4067-B0C9-E731DC432BFE_
2014 Crew 4x4 5.3 L Deep Ruby Red Metallic
GM Bedliner/Window tint/AVS Ventvisors
GM side steps

#12 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,015 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Yea I had leaf spring issues. Had em replaced and it has gotten better. I do have an occasional thud from the drivers side leaf no idea why it's usually when making a left hand turn

Ryan

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#13 =v8-only=

=v8-only=

Enthusiast

• 143 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

http://www.gm-trucks...ing +nerf +bars

http://www.gm-trucks...ing +nerf +bars

Edited by =v8-only=, 02 June 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

#14 mferry22

mferry22

Enthusiast

• 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Dealer thought they fixed the noise so they came to my house and as soon as they pulled in my driveway the noise was back. This time it was a different mechanic who immediately said the noise was a leaf spring and not a bodymount. So back to the dealer it went. Dealer called said they definately fixed the noise now but I'm away until Monday. I'll keep everyone posted once I get the truck back.

#15 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well kudos to your dealership's service department for taking the care to see that you are satisfied.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users