creaking and knocking noise

Hey guys I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a 2011 chevy 1500 crew cab LT with the NHT package. I installed nerf bars that mount using the body mount bolts. A few days ago I heard a creaking noise coming from the rear of the truck followed by a clunking sound. This only happens when I drive slowly over uneven terrain. I removed the nerf bars today and the noise is still happening. The clunking/knocking sound is really bothering me any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did double check the hardware on both sides and torqued the body mount bolts with a torque wrench.I was hoping it was the nerf bars but its not. The sound is coming from the leaf spring area but its weird that the noise started a week or two after I installed the nerf bars. I hope I didnt mess up the troublesome body mounts. Anyway Im bringing it to the dealer tomorrow but you know how noise issues go with the dealer.

sounds like leaf springs to me,take a hose to them and get them really wet and see if it stops,mine do it all the time when they get dried out and full of dust,most likley nothing to do with the nerf bars.

Dropped truck off at dealer, they couldn't replicate the noise. I took mechanic for a ride and got the truck to make both noises. He said the creaking was a body mount and to not use the nerf bars that mount that way. As for the knocking, thumping noise he said he has no idea and doesn't think he can figure it out. This is going to be a hassle, I can feel it.

Dropped truck off at dealer, they couldn't replicate the noise. I took mechanic for a ride and got the truck to make both noises. He said the creaking was a body mount and to not use the nerf bars that mount that way. As for the knocking, thumping noise he said he has no idea and doesn't think he can figure it out. This is going to be a hassle, I can feel it.

ya think ? complain to the owner of the store ,if no go ,call regional service manager ,,,shit will get done ,i guarantee it

So picked my truck up from dealer said everything was all set. They lubed up the leaf springs and tightened everything down. Mechanic said he loosened the body mount bolts and retightened them. He said he could see where the body actually shifted by the marks the bolts made. He said nerf bars mounted this way prevent the body from moving the way it should. Also said the thumping noise was a normal noise due to normal wear and tear. I dont believe that for a minute. Anyway got truck home and both noises were worse so I took service writer for a ride and he couldnt believe how loud the noise was. So truck is back at dealer for another look. See what happens.

So picked my truck up from dealer said everything was all set. They lubed up the leaf springs and tightened everything down. Mechanic said he loosened the body mount bolts and retightened them. He said he could see where the body actually shifted by the marks the bolts made. He said nerf bars mounted this way prevent the body from moving the way it should. Also said the thumping noise was a normal noise due to normal wear and tear. I dont believe that for a minute. Anyway got truck home and both noises were worse so I took service writer for a ride and he couldnt believe how loud the noise was. So truck is back at dealer for another look. See what happens.

Don't have nerf bars of any kind but I too amHaving these same types of weird sounds. clunks in the back to pops in the steering up front. 14k miles...dreading to take it in to the dealer to get diagnosed. Hassles like this for example. :nonod: Keep us updated

I know RyanbabZ71 has been down this road, but my rear leaf springs are super noisy; just like his in his youtube video. I've had the truck back once to the dealer who powerwashed and lubed the springs. Noise was back before I got home. I jacked it up to take the load off the springs washed and sprayed white lithium grease. It has helped for a few weeks.

To the OP I know your noise may be nerf bar related, but it's my experience that suspension squeaking is something very "normal" with these trucks. I'm also reading where late model Ford trucks are having this same sort of problem. Poor materials? Must be a cost cutting measure for Detroit?

Yea I had leaf spring issues. Had em replaced and it has gotten better. I do have an occasional thud from the drivers side leaf no idea why it's usually when making a left hand turn

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealer thought they fixed the noise so they came to my house and as soon as they pulled in my driveway the noise was back. This time it was a different mechanic who immediately said the noise was a leaf spring and not a bodymount. So back to the dealer it went. Dealer called said they definately fixed the noise now but I'm away until Monday. I'll keep everyone posted once I get the truck back.

Archived