creaking and knocking noise

I couldn't tell you the number of times I've been to 3 different dealers regarding the Body mount popping and the leaf springs slapping and clapping along with the common squeak. As for the body mounts. I unbolted them myself and raised the cab just enough to spray some rust check lube in there. To be honest it didn't work at first, but it's been close to 10000km since I've heard the popping... The dealer could never replicate it yet i heard it every single time I was driving. Knock on wood it doesn't start again. But do the same for the leafs. Rust check green can. Works wonders. Lift the rear to take the load off but dont take the tires off te ground. And spray away all over the leafs.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a FYI,the bed mount bolts are easy peezy to get to while laying under the truck.Just use a 3/8" drive ratchet and socket and a combo wrench on the ones you can't get the socket square on. I added a few shims to my new 2012 after delivery of the truck just to get it leveled out to my liking and the bolts were a breeze to loosen and tighten back up. Worth a try instead of repeat trips to the dealer in the hope that they actually checked all of these bed mount bolts and eliminated them as a potential source of your woes. Again...good luck with your issue. I'm certain that you will eventually narrow it down to the culprit of the popping sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally my truck is fixed. No more squeaking or knocking for now. The dealer said they replaced the shackle that holds the front of the leaf spring together. They also greased everything while it was apart and put new upgraded rubber spacers in. Now it makes no noise at all. Hopefully this is it. Good luck to everyone else having these problems.

Finally my truck is fixed. No more squeaking or knocking for now. The dealer said they replaced the shackle that holds the front of the leaf spring together. They also greased everything while it was apart and put new upgraded rubber spacers in. Now it makes no noise at all. Hopefully this is it. Good luck to everyone else having these problems.

I am glad to hear that you concern seems to have been resolved. Feel free to contact me if you need anything in the future. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

• 3 months later...

I have had this noise almost from new. There is a noticeable clunk when driving slow over uneven terrain and going around turns. It also creaked when moving laterally.

First trip to dealer I had a ride along and the shop Forman told me everything was normal. I figured ok, when I bring it in for service i'll mention it again and have a mechanic look at it.

Second trip in to dealer I was told it was normal again and that they all made that noise. Said if it didn't there wouldn't be enough play in the rear end and the truck would fall apart.

So I contacted GM Canada, who in turn contacted dealer. Now all of a sudden the dealer knows all about it and how to fix it.

Third Trip: Dealer replaced shackles, and sprayed WD 40 on springs. No change.

Fourth Trip: told me it could be gas in the gas tank moving around, and to have a full tank of gas next time.

Fifth Trip. They greased the leaf springs. Everything quiet.

3months later grease wearing off. Clunk is back.

Does anyone know what I should say to the dealer so they might fix it this time?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have had this noise almost from new. There is a noticeable clunk when driving slow over uneven terrain and going around turns. It also creaked when moving laterally.

First trip to dealer I had a ride along and the shop Forman told me everything was normal. I figured ok, when I bring it in for service i'll mention it again and have a mechanic look at it.

Second trip in to dealer I was told it was normal again and that they all made that noise. Said if it didn't there wouldn't be enough play in the rear end and the truck would fall apart.

So I contacted GM Canada, who in turn contacted dealer. Now all of a sudden the dealer knows all about it and how to fix it.

Third Trip: Dealer replaced shackles, and sprayed WD 40 on springs. No change.

Fourth Trip: told me it could be gas in the gas tank moving around, and to have a full tank of gas next time.

Fifth Trip. They greased the leaf springs. Everything quiet.

3months later grease wearing off. Clunk is back.

Does anyone know what I should say to the dealer so they might fix it this time?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hate to say it. But good luck. That story sounds identical to mine. I got no where

just in case i didnt comment earlier, but i know a few local, another member here too, who have gone through this. to quote the manager at the dealer "there is a graveyard of springs out back". i had the tsb's done twice and finally got new ones, which seems to be the only real temporary fix!!

• 2 weeks later...

Truck had both leafs replaced at 15k. No more clunking/creaking.

I hope I can get mine replaced. What did you have to do to get that done? Sell your soul to the devil? thats what it seems like Im going to have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I know my truck isn't a 900 series, but the 800s had the same creaking and clunking. Instead of the dealer attempting to fix this, I resolved mine myself and it's been good for years. On the creaking with nerf bars, I loosened all body mount bolts enough to allow for body movement. I then drove my truck around the block pulling into driveways on the right and left side of the road to allow flex in all directions. I then went home and tightened the bolts up. I needed to do this a couple times in one year, but I haven't done it now for 4 years and I still don't have any creaking. As for the spring knock, I remember doing something similar with that to resolve it. The springs were binding when turning or going over uneven terrain. I loosened the shackles and retightened. I think I had rubber installed at one point because I haven't had that issue for 5-6 years now.

Archived