Sign in to follow this  
LT1MCSS

How Accurate is your DIC MPG?

I did a write up in the towing section about a year ago when I took a 2,000 mile road trip, half of which was towing a ~9,000 boat.

I compared the DIC to hand calculated MPG's and they were very close.

If you search I'm sure you'll find it, but I'm on my phone so it's not easy to dig it up and put the link in.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I re-filled back up over the weekend and my calculated MPG and the DIC MPG matched up. My DIC said 15.2MPG and my Calcualted MPG was between 15.2-15.5 depending on if i calculated it by when the pump shut off or how much i actually put it. I could have gone longer on that tank. I think I only put in 23 gallons but I had somewhere to go and didn't want to be running on less than 1/4 tank.

I'm not sure what happened with that first tank of gas. That's still kind of a mystery to me. I'll be curious what this tank comes out to be.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I re-filled back up over the weekend and my calculated MPG and the DIC MPG matched up. My DIC said 15.2MPG and my Calcualted MPG was between 15.2-15.5 depending on if i calculated it by when the pump shut off or how much i actually put it. I could have gone longer on that tank. I think I only put in 23 gallons but I had somewhere to go and didn't want to be running on less than 1/4 tank.

I'm not sure what happened with that first tank of gas. That's still kind of a mystery to me. I'll be curious what this tank comes out to be.

I am glad to hear that your numbers seems to match. Feel free to keep me posted. Contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

I've checked my 2011 - 5.3 - 6sp - 3:08 and it was 20 MPG. The Sierra has AFM but no indication light for it and no DIC MPG so I occasionally check it. 60 MPH and empty.

My seems to be pretty close, my D.I.C currently displays 20.2 avg. mpg

I have currently 37,973 miles (956.8 engine hours) on my 2011 Chevy 1500w/t; 4.3L V6, 4x2, reg. cab, 8ft bed with 3.23 rear gearing(w/G80).

So far per D.I.C I burned 1877.0 gals of fuel, with 37,973 miles, Gives me an overall average of 20.23mpg.

Last 15 tanks of fuel that I had calculated were as follows;20.5mpg, 20.9mpg, 21.1mpg, 21.4mpg, 22.1mpg, 20.0mpg, 22.1mpg, 21.9mpg, 19.7mpg, 21.2mpg 23.1mpg, 23.0mpg, 21.8mpg, 20.6mpg, 20.9mpg. So I think if you average all together, its pretty close. So far mine seems pretty accurate.

My DIC mileage is consistantly 2 percent higher than calculated. After ~10,000 miles my truck has averaged right at 18 mpg (17.97 to be exact). Mileage has gotten better over the last couple of months; I actually achieved 19.06 mpg on my last tank (calculated; DIC showed 19.4 at fill-up), and my DIC currently shows 20.1 mpg so far on this tank (1/4 tank left).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

ADSENSE FOOTER
  • Similar Content

• By Keagan
      Hey guys,

What do you guys prefer to show up on your DIC? I know we have many options, such as trip, fuel eco, tires, speed, etc. Which one do you keep it at or use most? I tried keeping it at music source but it's a duplicate of what's on the infotainment already on my avalanche I use oil life.
    • By panflick
      For the LTZ 5.3 vs 6.2...looking at the 4dr 6.5bed...the mpg it shows on the window seems a little low for using AFM...what are your actual numbers you get? We'll say without towing, and with if ya got it...say you just bought it and went on the freeway for a few hundred miles and AFM was on, theres no way to get 18-20mpg, is there?
    • By dgrover13
      Recently (started three months ago) - I have noticed a sudden loss of fuel economy in my truck. I drive 500 miles a week ALL highway. I have gone through 2 winters on it (bought with 20k miles and now has 70k miles).

In september 2016 - I noticed my highway milage dropping. I used to get 21-22mpg on my 170 mile commute (all highway 70mph). It performed like this since I bought. I started seeing 17-18mpg highway, and now I get no better than 15mpg highway.

My average over 50k miles driving was 20mpg
      My average over last 3 months and 4000 miles is 14.5mpg

While on the freeway at 70mpg - it gets 14-15mpg.

This is very frustrating because for past two months I have been troubleshooting with my dealership. I have extended bumper to bumper and full drivetrain warranty - none of which covers this issue!!! They can't tell me whats wrong with it and seem unable to diagnose the cause.

We have tried the following:
      -Put different stock tires on the vehicle and drove for two weeks, no difference
      -Put a MAF sensor from a different (new) silverado and drove for two weeks - no difference
      -Tested for fuel consuption - no excessive use of oil (very little to none being burnt)
      -Oil changes - no difference
      -New stock airfilter and clean MAF sensor - no difference
      -I use only top tier gas and oil
      -No tire wear visible
      -Fuel trims appear to be good
      -No diagnostic codes showing up

I know there are many variables for fuel economy, but we have look at everything we could and have ruled out most everything.

The dealership is of no help and says GM has no documention on this issue elsewhere.

I have talked with many auto professionals and they all say this sounds bizarre or offer up that I have a crap engine.

Regardless I have full bumper to bumper/drive train warranty and its of no use!!!!

Does anyone offer up what I should take for next steps? I mean, I used to own a 1971 Chevy C10 3 on the tree, that got better mpg than my 2014 Silverado. Its rather unbelievable

Where do I go? Who can properly diagnose the issue?

Any help appreciated! Thank you!

-Darren