How Accurate is your DIC MPG?

I did a write up in the towing section about a year ago when I took a 2,000 mile road trip, half of which was towing a ~9,000 boat.

I compared the DIC to hand calculated MPG's and they were very close.

If you search I'm sure you'll find it, but I'm on my phone so it's not easy to dig it up and put the link in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I re-filled back up over the weekend and my calculated MPG and the DIC MPG matched up. My DIC said 15.2MPG and my Calcualted MPG was between 15.2-15.5 depending on if i calculated it by when the pump shut off or how much i actually put it. I could have gone longer on that tank. I think I only put in 23 gallons but I had somewhere to go and didn't want to be running on less than 1/4 tank.

I'm not sure what happened with that first tank of gas. That's still kind of a mystery to me. I'll be curious what this tank comes out to be.

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I re-filled back up over the weekend and my calculated MPG and the DIC MPG matched up. My DIC said 15.2MPG and my Calcualted MPG was between 15.2-15.5 depending on if i calculated it by when the pump shut off or how much i actually put it. I could have gone longer on that tank. I think I only put in 23 gallons but I had somewhere to go and didn't want to be running on less than 1/4 tank.

I'm not sure what happened with that first tank of gas. That's still kind of a mystery to me. I'll be curious what this tank comes out to be.

I am glad to hear that your numbers seems to match. Feel free to keep me posted. Contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My seems to be pretty close, my D.I.C currently displays 20.2 avg. mpg

I have currently 37,973 miles (956.8 engine hours) on my 2011 Chevy 1500w/t; 4.3L V6, 4x2, reg. cab, 8ft bed with 3.23 rear gearing(w/G80).

So far per D.I.C I burned 1877.0 gals of fuel, with 37,973 miles, Gives me an overall average of 20.23mpg.

Last 15 tanks of fuel that I had calculated were as follows;20.5mpg, 20.9mpg, 21.1mpg, 21.4mpg, 22.1mpg, 20.0mpg, 22.1mpg, 21.9mpg, 19.7mpg, 21.2mpg 23.1mpg, 23.0mpg, 21.8mpg, 20.6mpg, 20.9mpg. So I think if you average all together, its pretty close. So far mine seems pretty accurate.

My DIC mileage is consistantly 2 percent higher than calculated. After ~10,000 miles my truck has averaged right at 18 mpg (17.97 to be exact). Mileage has gotten better over the last couple of months; I actually achieved 19.06 mpg on my last tank (calculated; DIC showed 19.4 at fill-up), and my DIC currently shows 20.1 mpg so far on this tank (1/4 tank left).

Archived