IT guys.. wifi question

ChaseN

My employer just transferred me to south Texas. I'll be living in my 5th wheel for a few months until they buy me a new house down here.

The RV park I'm staying at has a secure wifi for only the people staying in it. I am on the far end of the park so my signal is weak.

Is there an antenna I can buy and mount on outside of my RV to boost my signal??

Thanks

I think you might also be able to get a wifi card that has a stronger antenna, but maybe jdnoble's answer is better if you want everybody in your RV to have access.

Recommend this, why personal experience using it at deployed locations where WIFI signals are very faint. Co-worker bought one and showed it off and pretty much the rest of the office wind up buying one seeing it picks up faint signals strong. To this day, I still use it when I travel and deploy.

http://www.amazon.com/802-11b-Wireless-Network-9dBi-magnetic/dp/B0035BGNWU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340310705&sr=8-3&keywords=wifi+alfa+range+extender

yes, i have signal inside my camber, i have 2 of 5 bars. it's just so slow. if i go near the office, it's fast, like it should be.

i'm looking into both of those links you guys posted.

Two issues:

1. the weak signal - it could be the reason for slow speed

2. Shared internet connection - This is most likey the cause of slowed speed.

Another option:

If you don't stream moves from your RV park you might get a 4g hot spot from Walmarl. I think the little unit is $99, and you can buy pre paid access card for $30 for 3GB of data. No contract and when you move sell the 4g unit.

The alfa should probably do the trick you can also google pringles can anntennae and maybe do that too if the range extender is useless

using both of these is overkill if the range extender works you will be getting the signal to your computer from it so don't worry about the external wifi card unless it puts out a week signal.

using the alfa would be my preferred option the range extender should make things better but it will add some lag compared to a strong signal without it.

That alfa unit is really good I hear. I was reading something on slickdeals about them a while back.

If I had to guess I would say that gnet158 is right. Even one bar of wireless service is still faster than the internet connection that the router is getting. I would say your slowness is caused by the shared connections to everyone else in the campground.

It's just the distance. I can be near the office any time of the day and it works great! Plus the park is all oil field guys who are only there 8pm-5am anyway so the usage is minimal.

First of all Wifi + Secure are two words that do not go together. :freak: The majority of wifi access points are still running 128bit crypto (most of which is nothing for a experienced person to crack within 10-15 minutes.

Secondly, the most likely reason you are having slow access speeds is because of your weak signal. You are likely dropping the majority of your packets while communicating with the access point there. The repeater you ordered should help some. But you can only do so much with a weak signal, even with a repeater. Good luck!

Archived