IT guys.. wifi question

ChaseN

I have the ALFA one and it works great whenever I'm in a low signal spot. I went from 1 bar and constantly dropping the connection to 5 bars and an 18mbps where I was out of an average 23mbps at the router. My office was about a half mile from the router antenna and I was in a metal building. The only problem was the suction cup is pretty useless.

That alfa unit is really good I hear. I was reading something on slickdeals about them a while back.

If I had to guess I would say that gnet158 is right. Even one bar of wireless service is still faster than the internet connection that the router is getting. I would say your slowness is caused by the shared connections to everyone else in the campground.

I never found one bar signal to be good at all on most laptops I've used one bar just meant it new the wireless signal was there and it could initiate a connection.

Also the wireless could be so slow not from the bandwidth being taken up from the modem but with the actual internet connection but that wifi routers take the persons order who gets their first and if your signal is week you will often be waiting a lot more giving you an even slower response time.

Yeah I keep forgetting everyone has cell phones now otherwise I would have recommended the repeater so it could get the signal too. If you have windows 7 I may be able to find a program you could use to repeat the signal from your laptop to your phone wirelessly. I think the roku box could use it too.

Crap I guess I should have got the repeater so my cell and roku box could use the boosted reception, also.

Couldnt you just set up an ADHOC with your laptop once you get a good connection? Last time I deployed I had my laptop hooked up the ALFA and then just set up an ADHOC in which my bunk mate piggy backed off it. It basically acts like a WIFI.

That definitely would be possible, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I've never done that before.

Well I dont know for XP but for Windows 7 & Vista, under Network & Sharing Center, click on Set up a connection or network, then scroll to the bottom and you will see the option. From there just follow the steps.

Archived