'01 Silverado 5.3 thermostat replacement

treebumper

Question

I called two dealerships to get an idea of the cost to flush my cooling system and replace the thermostat. They both quoted me a price that included a new thermostat housing. They said that the thermostat couldn't be relaced without replacing the thermostat housing. I've looked at a few videos of water pump replacements and I have yet to see them replace the housing($60 for the part). I could see having to replace it if I replaced the water pump and they had changed the configuration, but this seems unusual to me. I have 165,000 miles and I've never had a cooling issue. I replaced the dexcoool at 80,000(no powerflush). Was there a major improvement in the design of this part, or does it wear out?

Adam

7 answers to this question

Replace it yourself. It's easy. Until you remove it you won't know which one you have. Some are one unit, some the t'stat is separate from the housing and can be replaced and use the existing housing. The most you'll be out is $20.

On the 5.3 the housing is part of the water pump. The "cover" is separate, and unbolts from the housing to access the T-stat.

EDIT: found some pics ...

04Silveradowaterpumpold.jpg

04Silveradowaterpump.jpg

The thermostat comes with a new housing. When I did mine a year or two ago, the part was $20 or $25. If you do it yourself, make sure the o-ring is seated full all the way around the housing (esp. the bottom!) before you tighten the bolts down.

Archived