• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 treebumper

treebumper

Enthusiast

• 26 posts
  • Drives:2001 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I called two dealerships to get an idea of the cost to flush my cooling system and replace the thermostat. They both quoted me a price that included a new thermostat housing. They said that the thermostat couldn't be relaced without replacing the thermostat housing. I've looked at a few videos of water pump replacements and I have yet to see them replace the housing($60 for the part). I could see having to replace it if I replaced the water pump and they had changed the configuration, but this seems unusual to me. I have 165,000 miles and I've never had a cooling issue. I replaced the dexcoool at 80,000(no powerflush). Was there a major improvement in the design of this part, or does it wear out?

Adam

#2 Jared Lucky

Jared Lucky

Enthusiast

• 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Updated design i believe and i think the thermostat might be part of the housing not positive tho

#3 Jsdirt

Jsdirt

Enthusiast

• 916 posts
  • Drives:2007 Silverado Z71, 4x4, 5.3 LMG, LT2

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

On the 5.3 the housing is part of the water pump. The "cover" is separate, and unbolts from the housing to access the T-stat.

EDIT: found some pics ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jsdirt, 02 July 2012 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

#4 oldscsc

oldscsc

Enthusiast

• 473 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

The thermostat comes with a new housing. When I did mine a year or two ago, the part was $20 or $25. If you do it yourself, make sure the o-ring is seated full all the way around the housing (esp. the bottom!) before you tighten the bolts down.
'01 Silverado W/T, 4.8 / built 4L60E / 3.42 / 320k

18" Z71 wheels, black leather Avalanche interior, Magnaflow, Escalade cluster, Pioneer / Alpine sound, tinted tails, leveled, black bowtie, tinted windows, LS exterior conversion.

#5 treebumper

treebumper

Enthusiast

• 26 posts
  • Drives:2001 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

I guess I'll just go with the flush for now, I can't afford the extra $170 to change the thermostat. It'll probably hold out until the water pump goes.

#6 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,736 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Replace it yourself. It's easy. Until you remove it you won't know which one you have. Some are one unit, some the t'stat is separate from the housing and can be replaced and use the existing housing. The most you'll be out is $20.

Edited by txab, 02 July 2012 - 10:07 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#7 bossier62guy

bossier62guy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,622 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2002 Silverado Z-71

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

My 02 has the 1 piece thermostat/housing design so I'm pretty sure your 01 does as well.

#8 nGAbear

nGAbear

Enthusiast

• 111 posts
  • Drives:'01 Suburban c1500 LT 2wd

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Agreed, do it yourself. It's easy.
*On my '01 Suburban I have now fixed or replaced: battery, battery terminals, oil, oil filter, air intake filter, fuel filter, cleaned air intake valve, replaced PCV valve, all four O2 sensors, driver's side window control switch cluster, power mirror control switch, headlight switch, power mirror (w/ puddle light), window regulator/motor, rewired rear entertainment and 2nd row cigarette lighter, removed wireless transmitter for entertainment system and installed custom headphone 3.5mm female jacks with individual amps, in dash radio/CD player, serpentine belt, AC belt, AC belt tensioner, water pump, thermostat with housing, flushed coolant system, upper and lower radiator hoses, all coolant clamps switched to screwdriver type, all four rotors replaced, all four sets of brake pads replaced with EBC greenstuff, gotten rid of a couple of dents in the body, replaced the AC compressor, accumulator and orriface tube...

*chances are this list is incomplete, however, it is definately ongoing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users