silverado two piece drive shaft

I need a little bit of direction. I have a 2001 silverado 2WD with a two piece drive shaft. How does the shaft split so the old carrier bearing can be pressed off and the new one pressed on? It looks like the carrier bearing is located on the shaft of the slide yoke. Does the slide yoke break apart? What am i missing?

Thanks for any insight.

Eric

Drive shaft splits at the center yoke. Loosen the rear u-joint. The rear shaft will slide out.

From the manual:

Using a flat bladed tool, remove the clamp securing the boot to the front propeller slip yoke and at the center bearing by prying up the exposed end of the clamp

you will not enjoy doing a hanger bearing with no experience but have fun !!!!

for the cost of the labour ,maybe an hour ,its worth while taking it in ,,,,,,somethings are not worth the fight ,,,,,

my 2 cents

Thanks for your help. I ended up taking the whole shaft into the driveline shop this morning to get u-joints and center bearing replaced. It seemed like the best ( and easiest ) thing to do.

THX> Eric

all done - rebuilt shaft back on the truck. I replaced the transmission output shaft seal as well since it looked as though it may be leaking. I found out how easy a seal puller can make removal.

thx> Eric

Archived