Im looking into getting a used lever action rifle. I have been looking at the Marlin 336 30-30 cal. What are your opinions, the gun would be for plinking, as i don't deer hunt so it would't be used for hunting. Any thought would be great.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great guns, I have two of them, plus one from my grandfather. They are great shooters BUT you REALLY need to be careful decocking them. The only way of doing to is releasing the hammer while pulling the trigger. You should be able to find one reasonably priced. If not, the Winchester is almost identical to the model you listed. Lying mine side by side you can't really tell which is which.

For plinking, you also may want to buy a butt pad for the stock. The pad that's on there is not very vorgiving seeing that it's steel. Highly recommended if yo uare going to use the rifle that way.

Thanks, i looked at the winchester but im not too fond of the top eject, if i were to ever hunt and wanted a scope i would have to use the side mount which just seems odd. I was also looking at the Browning BLR but there is no 30-30 option.

If you are going to be using the gun just for plinking, take a look at the Marlin 1894C. It's a lever action rifle chambered in .38 Special. There will be hardly any recoil and you can shoot it all day long and not wear your shoulder out like a 30-30. My buddy has the Marlin 30-30 and it's fun to shoot but I wouldn't want to shoot more than a box at a time.

My father-in-law shoots SASS and his lever action rifle is chambered for .38 and it's a blast to shoot.

Well i bought one off a friend today, its a 336W 30-30. It was built in 2007 so i don't think i have to worry about the problems caused by Remington. I paid $300 for it so i think it was a good deal. I just can't wait to go and shoot it.

• 1 month later...

Archived