hard shifting tps drive by wire accumulator5.3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Airgeeker

Airgeeker

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

My 2003 Sierra 2WD with a 4L60E tranny (5.3 liter Drive By Wire engine) shifts hard going from first to second geat. No check engine light or codes. I know the 1-2 accumulator is suspect in these things, but it will shift beautifully between 1-2 if I accelerate very briskly (but not floored). I'm thinking that rules out the accumulator. I'm leaning toward thinking its the TPS even though I do not know if the TPS signal is generated from the throttle body or the accelerator.
I did notice the truck running a little rough at idle after my few "brisk" accelerations. No check engine light. The truck has 160K miles on it.
My question is: which of the two electrical components sends the TPS data?

#2 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,793 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

sounds like you are gonna throw parts at your truck,welcome to the site ,,we -(me)is dead against that and have been a broken record on the subject....

i didnt read that you had it SCANNED to rule out codes ,,,,,,no light on does not tell us nuttin,

i suggest getting it scanned before jumping into guessing ,

if a garage diagnoses a TPS and it doesnt fix the customer complaint its the SHOP that eats the cost ,not YOU ,,,,think about that for a second (enter your real name here) lmao !!!!

airgeeks ,jeez!!!! lol
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#3 oldscsc

oldscsc

Enthusiast

• 484 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

There's a TSB out for these trucks and a firmer than expected 1-2 shift. It basically says there's debris in the valve body that an accumulate and cause this issue. It's been a while since I've read the TSB, so forgive me, but I can't recall the exact wording.
'01 Silverado W/T, 4.8 / built 4L60E / 3.42 / 320k

18" Z71 wheels, black leather Avalanche interior, Magnaflow, Escalade cluster, Pioneer / Alpine sound, tinted tails, leveled, black bowtie, tinted windows, LS exterior conversion.

#4 Airgeeker

Airgeeker

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Rob! I did have it scanned by a transmission shop. The came up with a code P0680 which no one at any GM dealership can tell me what that code is. Possible the transmission shop typoed it. I'll have it scanned at a dealer at cost of $220 buck here in the State of Californicators.
Brian (the airgeek)

#5 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,793 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

wow ,what **** dealers down there to charge that ,buy a code reader instead,,,,,its cheaper
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#6 desrtrat

desrtrat

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,012 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

have you tried a good TB cleaning, and your MAF sensor? when mine starts shifting different, and ruff idle, a good cleaning takes care of the issues..

good luck

#7 vernons

vernons

Enthusiast

• 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

sounds like the same problem i was having with my 01 silverado... started getting hard shifts from 1st to 2nd,plus it wasn't shifting as soon as it should... and had idle problems also.. mine would idle way to fast... did a lot of reading on here till i found members having the same problemm. general conclusions were the tps sensor.. changed that and cured all symptoms... the sensor isn't that expensive anyway... let us know what fixes it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hard shifting, tps, drive by wire, accumulator5.3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users