2003 Sierra with 5.3 Hard Shifting from First to Second Gear

Airgeeker

Question

My 2003 Sierra 2WD with a 4L60E tranny (5.3 liter Drive By Wire engine) shifts hard going from first to second geat. No check engine light or codes. I know the 1-2 accumulator is suspect in these things, but it will shift beautifully between 1-2 if I accelerate very briskly (but not floored). I'm thinking that rules out the accumulator. I'm leaning toward thinking its the TPS even though I do not know if the TPS signal is generated from the throttle body or the accelerator.

I did notice the truck running a little rough at idle after my few "brisk" accelerations. No check engine light. The truck has 160K miles on it.

My question is: which of the two electrical components sends the TPS data?

6 answers to this question

sounds like you are gonna throw parts at your truck,welcome to the site ,,we -(me)is dead against that and have been a broken record on the subject....

i didnt read that you had it SCANNED to rule out codes ,,,,,,no light on does not tell us nuttin,

i suggest getting it scanned before jumping into guessing ,

if a garage diagnoses a TPS and it doesnt fix the customer complaint its the SHOP that eats the cost ,not YOU ,,,,think about that for a second (enter your real name here) lmao !!!!

airgeeks ,jeez!!!! lol

There's a TSB out for these trucks and a firmer than expected 1-2 shift. It basically says there's debris in the valve body that an accumulate and cause this issue. It's been a while since I've read the TSB, so forgive me, but I can't recall the exact wording.

sounds like the same problem i was having with my 01 silverado... started getting hard shifts from 1st to 2nd,plus it wasn't shifting as soon as it should... and had idle problems also.. mine would idle way to fast... did a lot of reading on here till i found members having the same problemm. general conclusions were the tps sensor.. changed that and cured all symptoms... the sensor isn't that expensive anyway... let us know what fixes it

Thanks Rob! I did have it scanned by a transmission shop. The came up with a code P0680 which no one at any GM dealership can tell me what that code is. Possible the transmission shop typoed it. I'll have it scanned at a dealer at cost of $220 buck here in the State of Californicators.

Brian (the airgeek)

Archived