1999 Sierra C2500 HD 6.0L Muffler

The original muffler on my 1999 Sierra C2500 HD Vortec 6000 (6.0L) got a hole. I took it to our only muffler shop to get a new muffler. He put on a Flowmaster and it was almost as bad as the old muffler. Drowned out the radio at times. Then he tried an AP. Still very noisy. When maintaingn a speed like 30 - 40 mph, decelerating, and at idle. He added a resonator. No help. Worse at idle and can even feel the vibration in the streering wheel and through the seats. I talked to a guy who just retired from managing a Bumper to Bumper store and he said Walker was the best muffler. The muffler shop found a Walker that even had GM stamped on it. It is still the same. When I looked at the online catalogs, I did not find anything in Flowmaster or AP for the 1999 6.0L. And the Walker catalog said it excluded the HD. I even called Walker and they did not have one or any recommendation. I want a muffler like the original, but GM only sells the whole exhaust system (catalytic converter, muffler, and tailpipe) for $2000. I've checked Craigslist for parts and found nothing in my area. Perhaps a muffler from salvage? Would it be reliable? Can anyone help?

IMO id just weld a piece of pipe in there and leave those 6.0's sound real good without a muffler...or if thats not what you want just go to a junkyard and get you a muffler they would probably charge you like 20 bucks

You could probably do a straightpipe without it being that loud. It's gonna be hard to find a muffler from salvage that isn't in the same shape as the old one. If it was my truck, I'd buy a long Magnaflow. Sounds like you don't want it loud, so that's you would be happy with IMO

Seems to me plenty of folks are changing out their stock mufflers for the noisier (but not necessarily better sounding) mufflers. You'd think the stock takeoffs would be plentiful and cheap at any muffler shop. Make a few phone calls, even if you have to drive a little. You should be able to get one cheap.

DEWFPO

Thanks. I'm new at this and do not know what PM means. But, I think I'll try to get one for a 6.0L.
pm means private message,you ought to give it a try with no muffler if you don't have inspections. It would sound really good

Sent from my smartass iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived