07 and up GMT-900 Door Speaker Install

I'm sure there is a similar write up somewhere, but I figured I'd share my method.

My factory front door speaks were toast so I picked up some Pioneer TS-A1674R 6.5" 3-way speakers and installed them in about 30 minutes. I was actually quite surprised at how good they sound so I picked up another set for the rears. Anyway, on to the install.

Removing the door panel is so simple it really doesn't require any instructions...

Use a small flat head and pop off these plastic inserts and remove 3 10mm bolts, then pop off the door panel. There's no need to take it all the way off. The speaker is attached using a 7mm bolt. Remove that and then use a small flat head to pop the speaker mount loose. (I only took pics of the rear install. Front door you pop off the grab handel cover and remove a couple of 10mm bolts there too).

2012-07-23193827.jpg

Pioneer speaker next to OEM trash.

2012-07-23194926.jpg

Places like Crutchfield sell adaptors and wiring harnesses bundled in with the price of their speakers, but they are not needed. So save your coins and buy the speakers else where. First, take your factory speaker/mount (as they are all one piece) and flip it over. Next take a wood chisel or something similar and a hammer and carefully break the plastic "fingers" that attach the speaker to the rest of the OEM mount.

2012-07-23191914.jpg

Once you've broken all of these (while being careful not to damage the lip they attach to) just push the speaker out of the front. Pull all of the old foam off too.

2012-07-23192120.jpg

With the Pioneers, the speaker didn't quite fit down into the recess, so I placed it on top and drilled small pilot holes in the speaker mount. Then I used the screws provided with the speaker to screw the speaker to the mount. I only used 3 screws in each.

2012-07-23192900.jpg

The speakers are well secured with the screws but I hammered the small metal tabs on the speakers down and over the lip of the OEM mount for a cleaner look and more stability.

2012-07-23192934.jpg

Nothing special guys, but I figured I'd share with those of you thinking of taking this on. It was getting dark, so no pics of them in the doors, but they mount and appear as factory of course. As far as wiring goes, I cut and spliced. If you're curious about wiring, just use the old GM standard to identify your positive/negative wiring to your door speakers.

LF+ tan

LF- gray

RF+ light green

RF- dark green

LR+ brown

LR- yellow

RR+ dark blue

RR- light blue

If it hadn't of been for me taking pics with my cell phone of this, it would have taken 20 minutes at the most.

Do you have the Bose or non-Bose radio?

I was looking at speakers for my truck (Bose radio) and from what information I could find said that normal 3-way door speakers won't sound very good. I think it had something to do with the pillar mounted speaker and the new speakers have built in tweeters. Basically the whole Bose setup wasn't easy to find replacement speakers that sound good. This just came from some searching on the internet so I take it with a grain of salt.

I think the biggest question that I found had to do with the ohm's of the factory speaker compared to aftermarket ones.

What are the specs on the speakers?

I'm non Bose. Speakers are 4 ohm which is fine for any non Bose set up. Bose systems benefit from 2 ohm speakers I believe. I too have tweeters in the pillars, but I find the overall sound quality is way better than factory. IMO my "system" produces a cleaner and clearer sound than the Bose setup in my wife's Tahoe. 3 way speakers have an added mid range driver as opposed to 2 ways and that's the only difference. 2 ways have tweeters as well.

That's what I have found out also. Some said the 4 ohm speakers work fine in a Bose truck and some say they don't. I have the Bose system in my truck though.

Does anybody make an aftermarket 2 ohm speaker?

Edit: After researching for a few minutes, i'm still confused. Crutchfield says that the GM trucks use a 4 ohm speaker but everywhere else is saying 2 ohm. I might just take the door panel off and see if it's on the back of the speaker.

• 1 month later...

I am non bose in my SLE ext. cab & my fronts are 8 ohms & my rear are 4 ohms. 3 of my 4 speakers (factory) don't work !!!

After looking at this thread, I now can stop looking for stock speakers because of the housing !!!

Thx a ton for posting Blackout !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Big help, Thanks! Just fried the back speakers myself. I have them on the workbench and thought I was going to have to drill new holes and mount them directly to the door! I appreciate the extra time you took to take pics!

Archived