Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience replacing a torsion spring on a garage door. This is the one that is located on the roller bar on top of the door as aposed to the extension springs normally found on the sides of the door.

The one on my door broke the other day and I have been considering replacing it myself due to the cost of having someone come out. Everyone that I called gave me the "those things are dangerous, you should really have a professional handle this" Which I would accept if I was a non handy type, but taking a look at it there doesn't seem to be much to it, as long as you are careful when winding the spring up.

I recall actually winding up a Wayne Dalton garage door torsion spring when installing an opener in my old house but it was a while ago. My question is if anyone has done it, is it easy or should I really just call a professional in for $250, (OUCH!)

Seriously it doesnt matter how handy you are they are wound up and dangerous as all heck. I have heard of many close calls luckily no one I knew has been injured or killed. They all ended up calling a pro after the fact (after changing their shorts). All I can say is be careful if you do it yourself.

Most places I tried wouldn't even sell me one. I did finally get one and installed it myself and am still around to tell about it but you might make sure you can purchase one first. They are dangerous though but not impossible.

I've done quite a few and please read up on ALL the safety precautions and instructions before attempting this repair and make sure you use the proper tools and winding bars. It is only an half hour job in cramped space but one slip and you could be injured. Do not attempt this with noone around incase something does happen. The double spring ones are the worst to work on and you must know what you are doing. If you shop around it should be under a $100. The going price around here is $75 to install a whole new door with the springs and tracks.

I'm pretty handy myself but I have to agree with the others, have the pros do it. I had one break in a previous, sounded like a gun went off in my garage. I wanted nothing to do with someone that had that much force behind it. Just my opinion, if you try it, please stay safe.

As others have said, you can get hurt pretty easy, and not just from the spring. The fall from the ladder is not something that gets done with grace. One of the most dangerous parts of the job is the winding of the spring to set preload or counterbalance. You have to rotate the spring about 90 degrees with a short bar, then tighten the lock bolt while you move the bar to the next hole, or you use two bars and move one 90 degrees, put the second bar in the next hole, remove the first bar, rotate again, move the bars and so on. Easy to get complacent while doing it, and mixing the steps up. That is when that ungraceful dismount from the ladder happens, and the judges only give a score of 3.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just fixed/adjusted my girlfriends garage door last week. Yes, the spring is dangerous. Yes, you can do it.

The style that I adjusted was nice. Set the spring with the set screws then put a 1/2 inch socket on a drill and let the gear mechanism tighten the spring. First time dealing with this style and they are VERY nice.

I just fixed/adjusted my girlfriends garage door last week. Yes, the spring is dangerous. Yes, you can do it.

The style that I adjusted was nice. Set the spring with the set screws then put a 1/2 inch socket on a drill and let the gear mechanism tighten the spring. First time dealing with this style and they are VERY nice.

Those are the safe springs that are DIY friendly

Ryan

I've done a few springs myself, one side broke so I fixed it and then a little while later the other side broke so I fixed it too along with other torsion springs. Yes they are dangerous if your not careful. Get the proper bars for winding, dia and length. I usually get the springs at a overhead door Co, just give them the length, dia and thickness of the spring and they usually put the ends on for you.

• 2 months later...

Geez! The spring is contained on the shaft, so it can't break and hit you. It could throw the tool you use to tighten it, if you screw up, but it's pretty simple. Go to the web site of the door company and download the directions. Follow them carefully, and save yourself $250! Then buy some good beer to celebrate afterward! The dangerous springs are the older style extension springs. If you don't install a cable to secure them, when they break, they can kill you! I had one miss me by inches! I'll take the torsion spring any day!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched installs of these springs a few times. The next time I need one, I will be doing it myself.

Most important thing I learned from watching a pro is to have 2 winding bars.

I used to do this for a living and yes they are dangerous. No they do not fly off and hit you but that damn winding bar can slip and crush your hand. Sop around if you want the professional to do it or at least be very careful and purchase two winding bars that are made for the job at hand. But all in all its an easy job and anyone can do it, just make sure you get your cables set right or you'll have a door on the ground or on your car. Also one if it were me I would replace both since you are saving money anyway and the other is not far behind. And last but not least if you spray paint a straight line on the spring before you install it it makes it a lot easier to count your wind's!

Archived