Reprogramming climate control after dead battery

Rharbison

Question

Battery died. Afterwards climate control on drivers side messed up. Vents blow hot air while all others blow cold. Seems to be common problem after battery disconnect. Many Internet posts. Tried removing hvac fuses for a few minutes and then start vehicle again and allow to recalibrate. Have tried this several times. works for a few minutes then blows hot air again. Problem is only drivers side.

8 answers to this question

try disconnecting the battery again. common issue.. the BCM will sometimes brain fart and not switch on/off items that are programmed to do. i had the issue that nothing worked but defrost when i changed out my battery. disconnected/reconnected battery and fixed the issue.

Try this. Turn climate control off. Disconnect battery (5 min). Reconnect battery, start truck (with climate control still off) run truck for 2-3 minutes. Shut truck 2nd time, start truck again, then turn climate control on and it should work, if an actuator is not bad. My Buick used to do this occassionly and that put it back to work everytime.

My son's suburban"s controls act up once in a while. And what he does is to cycle the controls setting thru Heater and Defrost mode and select heat instead of A/C. And then switches back. Don't know if this will work for you or not. There seems to be more than one problem that cause this and you have to hit upon the right solution for your problem. Maybe we should start a FAQ on all the different solutions. You said that the problem started after a dead battery. Thats funny seeing that one of the solution is to disconnect the batter ground cable for 40 seconds. And then re-connect the cable. Turn the key to the on for 40 seconds and then start the vehicle. Another is to turn the key to the acc. position and remove the HVAC fuse for 40 seconds. Install the fuse and turn the key to the on position for 40 seconds. And then start the vehicle. Another option is to buy a Tech 2. And I don' think too many people are going to do that. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck

Duelin

Try the procedure again. This time turn key on, but do not start. Don't touch any controls. Give it about 30 sec to 1 minute. Then you can start it. You may have an actuator that has failed.

Sometimes, the dealer may need to perform the recalibration

Tried recalibrating several times last night. txab, I followed your procedure posted elsewhere.

1. Key off

2. Removed 3 HVAC fuses (10 AMP) and waited 3-4 minutes

3. Reinstalled fuses

4. Turn key on but not started

5. Let system recalibrate for a minute or two

6. Started vehicle

This seems to work for about three minutes. Then drivers side starts warming up again.

Also disconnected battery for 30 minutes then reconnected and turned key to on position.

Allowed HVAC to do its thing for a minute or two. Same results.

I may be missing a step which is why I listed every detail

Thanks for everyone's help. I have seen several posts regarding recalibrating after battery died or changed, so this seems to be a GM problem.

Might need a dealer and a Tech 2 to recal. Or as I stated before, a new actuator may be called for

What position are you controls in when you try to reset. You might try different positions. Just a thought.

He has Auto climate control. It doesn't matter. When power is pulled all settings are lost

Archived