Yep.... me too! Burning oil in a 6.2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tsully980

tsully980

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

This is how it works with me. I buy the extended warranty and have very few issues under warranty. Really, only a couple of things. But a month outside of the warranty and stuff starts breaking. I purchase a 2007 new body style Sierra Denali with the 6.2 liter motor, all wheel drive, etc.
Have never had a oil burning problem and have never had to put oil in the motor between oil changes. Always changed the oil at 10% left on the dic. Always ran full synthetic oil.

1. I have put 3 quarts of oil in the motor over 6000 miles.
2. Two of the door handles are coming off.
3. The display on the radio didn't work when I picked up the truck from service. They said they didn't break it. They did work on it and reprogrammed the radio. They didn't charge me for that. I suspect that the door handles were broken when they were working on the radio as I saw my doors open and close a few times. I don't know if they were broken when I took the truck in because it was on the passenger side. Oh Well......

Took the truck to the dealer and they were going to do a pcv valve inspection for $115. They called back and said they were going to replace the valve cover with an updated one. It's supposed to correct the oil consumption issue. When I asked about the pcv inspection he said I don't think they looked at it yet. Went to pick up the truck and asked and he said it's ok. But I didn't pay for any pcv inspection. So they didn't look at it I guess. But after this oil consumption test proves that I am burning oil then they will want to test the pcv valve.
I doubt it works. This motor does not have cylinder deactivation. So now the oil consumption test. Which I suspect will show that the motor still burns oil.

I get to pay almost $200 per door handle to fix. I suspect they will break again and I still have two more handles that will probably break sometime.

The radio cost between $500 and $600 to replace.

Wonder what a ring and valve job is going to cost. I am assuming that GM won't help with that.

I have done all the maintenance per book and most of it early. I'm thinking that was a waste of money.

Done ranting....

Edited by tsully980, 13 August 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#2 Wires

Wires

Enthusiast

• 699 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

I feel your pain. My 08 is pretty similar. At 30,000 km:
- it leaks oils on my garage floor
- chrome is peeling off the rims
- bumpers are rusting
- trim is rusting
- undercarriage (even with undercoating) is rusted bad
- engine knocks when cold
- door handles ripped off the door
- brackets falling off the OEM tube steps

Heck, the interior still smells like new, but the thing is rotting from the outside in. Really p*sses me off considering I paid $66k for this POS....

#3 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,750 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

TSully

How many miles on your truck?

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#4 tsully980

tsully980

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

85000 miles. My extended warranty goes to 100000. But the time was up in April. Was a quart low in May. Added two more quarts and then took it to the dealer last week. I know, I know............ it's out of warranty. But still.....what timing!

Edited by tsully980, 13 August 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#5 j-ten-ner

j-ten-ner

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,004 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Welcome to the club.

so long
j-ten-ner

"Yes I'm an a**hole. I drive 30km/h in a school zone."

#6 kstruckcountry

kstruckcountry

Elite Enthusiast

• 5,629 posts
  • Name:#dantheman
  • Drives:Vehicles usually

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wow that sucks. Terrible that it's burning at that low of a mileage. What's the highest mileage 6.2 y'all know of?

67ce74f9-6c87-48ab-963b-13c795e1766d_zps
2006 Silverado Z71 LT2 / Bilstein 5100's / Magnaflow 22" / AirAid MIT / BBP Tune / Edge Insight monitor

GMC 17" Wheels / Cooper Discoverer ATP / Hella FF75's / TS front end replacement / Access cover

"I've got an attractive woman burning down my house too darrick"

#7 Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Enthusiast

• 541 posts
  • Name:John
  • Drives:2011 "Sheer Silver" Silverado 4X4 LTZ CC 6.2L/3.73 "max trailer pack" with a Black Bear tune, baby!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Some '07 6.2 motors had cylinder deactivation hardware in them, even though the AFM was never active. Wonder if yours is one of them?
Posted Image

#8 J-Rod_09

J-Rod_09

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hmm.. this is good to know. I noticed last oil change that I was a litre low( I am in Canada Eh!) Mine (2009 Denali) has 103,000 km and is still on the powertrain warranty. I will be watching close before it goes off of warranty

#9 tsully980

tsully980

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well I picked up my truck today from the dealer. Had the passenger door handle fixed. $200 bucks. It dawned on me when I picked up the truck that I think the service guy broke it to begin with. Last week I had it in for the oil consumption issue and when I left I noticed that the dome lights were on and the radio display wasn't working. I turned around and went back and they worked on the radio as soon as I took it back. I could see them working on it and the front drivers door was opened and remained open. The passenger side door was opened and closed a couple of times. They were programming the radio. That was on Friday. On Saturday I cleaned the truck and noticed the passenger side door handle looked like it was going to fall off. I was afraid to use touch the handle as it looked like it was going to fall off. Now why wouldn't the service dept inform me of that? Possibly because they damaged it? I'm sure they would deny it as they did with the radio. Anyway I am in the process of documenting the oil usage. I really don't believe that the "updated" valve cover is going to make any difference.
But we'll see.
I had to put a quart of oil in 79000 miles and then two more quarts before 85000 miles. Truck never burned any oil until 79000. So I don't know why all of a sudden. Will be interesting to see GM's role in the process.

#10 Wires

Wires

Enthusiast

• 699 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The door pulls on the GMT-900's are junk. They are a cheap plastic shell, with 2-screw bosses that hold it to the door. Apparently body colored are better than the chrome ones, but if you pull too hard on the handle (or lean on it when reaching on the roof), the boss breaks, and the handle falls off.

They only have a $175 price tag at the dealer for that cheap POS. Mine broke at 37 months. My wife took it in, dealer said "sorry, warranty was up last month". She has me on the phone, so I tell her to ask how much to fix it, since she was already there. She got a "oh, around $500". Like WTF!!! So when she said "no, my husband will do it", buddy replies "if he wants to buy the part, bring it back and we'll put it in". Yeh, no. Last time I set foot in that crooked dealership.

Another dealership swapped it out under warranty, since the truck on ly had 20,000km and was just over 3 years old. I still cringe when someone crabs a handle in winter though. They are like ticking time bombs....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users