How-To: GMT900 $5 Door Lock Fix.

compulynx

Ok. Here is a $5 fix for your 2008 and up crap china made door locks that half work or just quit working.

I am assuming you have enough mechanical ability to remove the door panel, but if not, there are instructions on this site on doing that. This mod also should work on Tahoes and Burbs, but I can not say 100% it will.

First, you will need one of these. Yes, it is a cheap china made lock actuator, but hey, so is the one GM put in your vehicle.

http://www.amazon.co..._auto_ai_ps_t_2

Now. What you are going to do is mount the new actuator BEHIND the door panel in the position shown.

door1.jpg

This is a little closer shot. Be sure that the actuator clears the hole in the panel so the panel cover lock can snap in. If you look, the hole is midway between the motor on the actuator and the upper mounting hole. Remember, it goes BEHIND that panel, I am just showing it outside the panel for reference.

door2.jpg

Here is a shot of the actuator installed inside the panel.

door3.jpg

Just mark the 2 mounting hole locations, and drill the holes. The actuator should be vertical to the door. Next, the actuator comes with a rod and a clamp. Remove the lower rubber plug shown and reach up and slip the clamp on the lock rod. Then slip the new actuator rod into the clamp. (If you need to slightly bend the rod to make it parrallel with the lock rod, that is fine) Adding a drop of blue loctite on the adjusting screws is a good idea.

door4.jpg

At this point, I used an external 12 v source to actuate the lock and adjust it properly. You can do that or wait till you have it wired in the truck harness.

The original lock has a connector the has some small wires, but 2 thicker wires. These 2 wires are the actuator power. On mine, they were green and yellow. (See photo-sorry about the out of focus)

door5.jpg

The actuator just works 2 ways, so if it works backwards, just swap these 2 wires. I also left enough wire on the original connector to resplice if GM ever decides to fix these crap locks.

I also drilled a small hole in the panel and used a zip tie to hold the new wiring away from the window as it slides down.

Here is the installed actuator working. It sounds loud, but after the panel was replaced, it was no louder than any of the other locks. It takes a few seconds for tthe video to load.

http://www.eworldz.com/truck/vid1.mp4

So GM, take you $100 locks and shove 'em.....

C

Greetings,

I'm new to this site - I found it by reading the Edmunds forums concernign the door lock issues with GM trucks. I am considering doing this to my 2008 Avalanche, but i was wondering if installing these door lock actuators caused any issues with the remote start feature? I noticed as i looked for replacement door locks through GM, it specifically asked if your vehicle had remote start. Not sure what the issues would be, but who knows how General Motors, in their infinite wisdom, may program the lock and remote start features.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived