Engine Knock or Lifter Noise

If your truck ticks all the time GM may have a fix.....'

Document ID # 1206539

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring) #02-06-01-038 - (12/02/2002)

Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring)

2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause

The O-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction

Inspect the O-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring)

(F and Y Cars)

Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring)

(C/K Trucks)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Usage

Labor Time

J1060

Pickup Tube and Screen - Replace

F Car

3.7 hrs

Y Car

4.3 hrs

C Truck

1.3 hrs

K Truck

2.1 hrs

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.  WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID # 1206539

2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

I wonder if the aerated oil would have caused any damage due to a lack of sufficient amount of lubricant...

My truck "ticks" when idling and fully warm.

Yeah, I wonder about that too.  ???

And I especially like this other tidbit from that document:

"This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi)."

How different, and what other noises???

My '03 hasn't had any ticking or CSK so far w/ 5100 miles on it, but if I still had old green ('99), I'd be checking this o-ring anyway, even though the tick started later than the first few 100 miles.

BTW, thanks asepgrad98!! :thumb:

The constant ticking bothers me more than my cold start knock. I will be checking with my dealership tomorrow about this. I would be a happy person if this took care of my tick. The constant tick has been my major bithc of mine.

The constant ticking bothers me more than my cold start knock. I will be checking with my dealership tomorrow about this. I would be a happy person if this took care of my tick. The constant tick has been my major bithc of mine.

Please keep me informed as I have the 6.0L too.  I hope your dealer takes a look at it for you...

Will do. First I want to see if they have seen this and if they have done any of the repairs yet. I would like to see what results they have seen. I am not a big fan of being the 1st to get something done. I trust my shop but.....I am going to talk 1st before I let them rip into my motor and I don't want to be the 1st one they do. I will let ya know.

Shaners I seen your pic of your Jayco.  Nice rig. What part of the country do you spend most of your time campin. I been acamping for  32 years and would give my left nut up before I gave up my trailer. I live in KY and spend a bunch of time on 2 lane mountain roads so and try and keep my length under 30ft. Although when backing up I wish I had a couple extra feet.  My rig is an 26ft Springdale  mid profile  5th wheel with the super slide.

Humm..I wonder how many here have trailers and how goofy it would be to try and get a rally together somewhere this summer. Just a thought.

Maggot, I'm like you...  I don't want to be the first Guini pig!!!  

I have a share in a local campground, and my trailer stays there and we use it almost every weekend (Western PA).  When I pull it out to go over the road we usually stay in western PA and Ohio.

I wouldnt worry to much about being the guina pig, all they should have to do is take the oil pan off the check it.

The issue that bothers me the most about this TSb is it says "it likely will have been present since new" Why the heck did the engine leave the factory like that in the first place! come on now GM, get it together :cheers:

It is a valid TSB. My shop looked it up and found it. Mine is going in Mon 0800, will see how it goes. They have not seen it the tsb and  I will be the first in my area.  I look forward to seeing the bottom end and making sure everything is what it should be.  I wonder  you can see the piston walls with the oil pan off???

I hope this is a real fix .

I hope this is a real fix .

Ditto!!!

Let me know how it goes and what they find...  If all works out well for you, then I will contact my service manager next week.  (the truck needs to go in anyways because the G80 locker quit working).

Took mine in to the shop, my mechanic was willing to tear it apart but he was 100% sure I did not have a a problem. I decided not to have him even take my motor apart .

I can understand you not wanting it torn apart...  But how can the mechanic be sure, especially if GM has a TSB about it.  I doubt GM writes TSB's unless it is a issue that could affect many owners (like the steering "clunk" ).

BellevueSilvy has his truck going into the shop tomorrow, so we'll see what his dealer says.  I'll have mine checked when I get the oil changed (actually I'll have it checked just before the oil needs changed...  that way I'll get a free oil change!!! )

Archived