How-To: GMT900 Sierra OEM Fog Light Installation.

latreille89

I though I would try and do a bit of a write up on the fog light install from start to finish for a 2012 GMC Sierra. I have read many topics on installs for the silverado but none show a sierra and pictures of the wiring so hopefully this helps. This is only a guide if the instructions don't help, I strongly suggest following the provided instructions and do not take any responsiblity if you follow this and mess up. Happy reading :)

So to start off... I ordered my kit from ebay last week. Part number 19170447 comes with everything needed to install (new switch assembly, wiring and fog lamps).

Disconnect the battery so no damage occurs.

If you have ever installed the DIC as an upgrade, installed the new switch is very easy. The panel to the left of the steering wheel needs to be popped off and removed. Unclip the stock light switch (be careful not to break any clips) and throw it away. Clip in the new switch that has a fog light button and put it all back together.

New Swtich installed - Since my truck is an SL model, the ring was black.. now it's chrome to match the hvac controls.

BDFF6F96-39C2-41FF-B982-5AB8189441E2-1430-000001564BEAABE2.jpg

Next is the fun part, remove the cover to the fuse/relay panel. Unclip and lift the fuse block up so you can get under it to connect the purple wire. Under the block there will be a small gray block, look below. Pull this out and find the green wire. The instructions included show you exactly which hole the purple wire needs to be inserted. Just remember before inserting the wire, there are 2 red clips holding the wires in place. The one opposite to the side of the new purple wire needs to be popped out in order to slide the wire through the hole. Be sure to secure the red clip after the wire is inserted.

126E2997-B1B3-417B-ABD8-5F5F4A6BDE11-1430-000001565956F74B.jpg

New wire installed

8EC7E4B6-2E11-4511-9BC7-9753843B9BC6-1430-000001566056B44C.jpg

The fuse block can now be put back together, take your time doing this so nothing gets pinched.The wire with the white tag is the new purple wire.

1EA5CE6E-F073-4667-9891-B278A1BBB423-1430-00000156668BA767.jpg

CD3ACC7E-4C38-4A08-A730-0E64C70012C1-1430-0000015A2FA6D0FE.jpg

The ground bolt for the kit is located beside the body mount under the drivers door. The instructions don't say this, they show a picture and talk about random stuff most of us would understand. So the wiring needs to be guided there and make sure it isn't around any moving parts.

190143CD-F025-47DD-981D-98E3D3AD89F1-1430-0000015A0C6EA6C2.jpg

Running the rest of the wires to go to the new fog lights is not so easy. They run to the drivers side first then over to the passenger side. There are clips that need to be places in certain area right infront of the skid plate behind the front bumper. See picture.

4F1EAD1B-5BCF-4545-8405-59AA350AC3BE-1430-0000015A168820AC.jpg

After you have finally got all the wiring secure, pop the plastic inserts out, there are 3 clips on each. Now you can clip in the fog lights. Just plug the wires into the back and then they clip right into place. There is an adjuster screw to aim them properly up and down. Connect the battery back up and try them out.

Inserts

3CB57ED0-09C5-4D90-AAF7-8AE5CD5AA8D1-1430-0000015673A4AF06.jpg

Installed

0B750326-6AB7-4D57-9175-C8323399C4EC-1430-000001566D0608BC.jpg

Green fog dash Light comes on.... truck isn't running and is just on the 'ON' position so no.. I dont have and check engine issues.

BF6DAF42-8BB5-4BB6-AA40-0D4CFA880406-1430-000001567A3FF0BC.jpg

And everything is working great.

255D4B6F-9F59-4183-B156-D889FFED7660-1430-000001567FB0A62D.jpg

I had to wait a bit for it to get dark to aim the lights correctly. It isn't an easy task and takes a bit of time adjusting. I tried to follow the instructions to aim. Not included but here's the link:

http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=117121

It's really a matter of whether they are going to blind on coming drivers. So make sure that doesn't happen.

All said and done, I am happy with them. Nice to have a use for the holes with plactic blanks in them. I would said that this kit can be done by someone with very little knowledge, but know your vehicle before tackleing it and follow the instructions carefully.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if there is a pin number for the spot in the fuse block for the purple wire or how you find it without the instructions? Also what kind of end does the wire have is it some kind of connector? I tried searching but the other threads pics have dissapeared, I'm adding mine to a 2012 Sierra sl without the kit.

Just wondering if there is a pin number for the spot in the fuse block for the purple wire or how you find it without the instructions? Also what kind of end does the wire have is it some kind of connector? I tried searching but the other threads pics have dissapeared, I'm adding mine to a 2012 Sierra sl without the kit.

The connector is already on the Purple wire. As for the slot it goes into, the instructions have pictures so I can't really help there since I'm pretty sure I threw them aeay

• 1 month later...

Hi,I just purchased a 2012 Sierra 1500 WT, and the next thing is to install fog lights. I inquired about the fog light upgrade at the dealership, and they mentioned that there would be a charge of an additional $100 to re-program the chip in order for it recognize that foglights have been installed.

I don't see this mentioned anywhere. I was going to self install until I talked to the dealership. By reading your very detailed instructions, there is no mention of that. Are they pulling my chain???

Thanks

I would like to say yes. Yes they are. And I would bring it up with them since I never even set foot in a dealership for mine. There is absolutely no programming involved. Time to find a new dealer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your your help the instruction sheet that came with the kit was confusing...

The hardest part is the purple wire. There was a really good thread with photoshopped arrows and everything. It disappeared a few years back though.

As for aiming them mine took quite a bit of adjusting up. I just got a friend to hold cardboard at said distance with said hight marked with felt. I don't think I'm blinding anyone nobody has high beamed me.

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone done this on a 2012 Silverado Hd? i know the bumper has to be changed. i wonder if GM has the kit for that. i would love to add the factory fogs to mine.

has anyone done this on a 2012 Silverado Hd? i know the bumper has to be changed. i wonder if GM has the kit for that. i would love to add the factory fogs to mine.

The kits are all the same for silverados yeah it comes with new corners

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

Many write ups have come and disappeared over the years I saw a Silverado one once. If the dealer tells you it can't be done they are idiots. I got told it can't be done that's why I say that.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

Archived